What's new

In the Cemetery, Late Fall, in Baltimore

I went out and took an informal walking tour through historic Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore earlier today. Greenmount was one of the first American "rural" style cemeteries with rolling hills and meandering lanes, in contrast to the small churchyard graveyards. It is also home to memorial sculptures by several prominent American artists.

Everything here was taken with the camera I had on hand - the one in my Galaxy S4.

I applied filters to enhance the mood and feel of the location.

Enjoy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hans Schuler's "Meditation", a grave memorial for the Baetjer family, prominent in the legal profession.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Booth Family plot...
proxy.php

And pennies on John Wilkes' grave marker.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The Sisson family plot. Hugh Sisson was a stonecutter who supplied stone to many monuments and structures, including the US Capitol building's columns. The modern day descendant Hugh Sisson owns and runs the Heavy Seas brewery, which makes damned fine beer. An earlier brewpub incarnation made a "Stonecutter Stout".
proxy.php

W.H. Rinehart's sculpture "Sleeping Children" was designed as a memorial for children lost by the Sisson family. Unfortunately, time and weather have taken their toll on the detail.
proxy.php

proxy.php

So, the guy who patented the Ouija Board died in Baltimore and is buried here. In the mid-2000's, a benefactor paid to replace the unmarked headstone at the grave with this one. Here's the front:
proxy.php

And the rear :001_tongu:
proxy.php

Another Rinehart sculpture, "Love Reconciled With Death", marks the gravesite of William and Henry Walters, benefactors of the Walters Art Museum.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Farewell...
proxy.php

Outstanding photographs! I wish I could take shots like that. And a smat phone to boot! I particularly liked the mausoleum door shot. I love cathedral architecture and that particular shot has a certain haunting presence to it. It is not foreboding. In fact it is almost inviting after a fashion. At the same time you instinctively understand the permanence of entering there. The combination of architectural presence and simple concept of passing through a door from one life to the next is a powerful image. Is the door locked? Should you touch it? I don't really know. I apologise if I sound a bit trppy with those thoughts but the photo is quite evocative to me. Thank you for posting these photos. They are quite respectful to the inurned I might add. Well done and please share any thoughts you have about taking these types of photos.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom