What's new

In Praise of Pre de Provence

good stuff

20200612_061931.jpg

shaved with the 63 today!!!!

camo

PdP is as good as any soap I've got. I don't much care for the herbal scent, and the ash-can scent of #63 is, to my nose, execrable (others think it's marvelous). But it lathers beautifully, it's mild, it's cheap, it's 100% vegan, you can get it from Amazon, and it seems to last forever.

PdP is as good as any soap I've got. I don't much care for the herbal scent, and the ash-can scent of #63 is, to my nose, execrable (others think it's marvelous). But it lathers beautifully, it's mild, it's cheap, it's 100% vegan, you can get it from Amazon, and it seems to last forever.
My tin of #63 has toned down quite a bit since I left the tin open more often. The scent is pretty mild now.

Well, I certainly haven't been here in forever, but I felt I had to post on a couple of things, one of which is my well-earned respect for under-sung Pre de Provence shaving soap.

After an initial sampling from dear Mama Bear years ago, I decided it was time to get a milled soap, probably tallow, but every review on Pre De Provence was positive, so I tried it. It has been my go-to soap ever since. The cushion and slickness have been compared to the best tallow soaps. I personally think it stands equal to Martin De Candre. Like Martin's, it's a veg soap. It's loaded with shea butter, and the lather is legendary among long-time shavers. The puck is quad-milled, comes in a nice aluminum tin and lasts for months without denting the wallet.

Often the best of the best are discussed, and time and again you see the same - Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF), Tabac, Spieck, Proraso, Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS), Van Der Hagen, and even ol' Williams. These are dependable, enjoyable, reliable, a real pleasure to use.

Pre De Provence is their peer.

I believe Pre De Provence deserves a permanent place on that list, no matter the scent you prefer. I've been using it going on 6 years, and I still look forward to loading a brush with it.

Have to agree. One of the best soaps I’ve ever tried. Has anyone tried their aftershave balm or cologne? I’ve been tempted to pick them up in order to have a matching set..

The cream is very different from the soap. It is a brushless cream that does not lather. You can read a lot of reviews from frustrated users saying "This cream is terrible, I can't get any lather out of it". Well, they did not realize it's meant to be applied with fingers to a damp face with no lather.

I’ve been here over 10 years and if there’s one thing that’s been consistent it’s guys trying to lather a non-lathering cream and then complaining that it’s “trash” - it’s like complaining that your Mustang isn’t a Camero.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Have to agree. One of the best soaps I’ve ever tried. Has anyone tried their aftershave balm or cologne? I’ve been tempted to pick them up in order to have a matching set..

The balms are excellent. They’re very similar in performance to the 2x $ L’Occitane balms. I have not tried the cologne.

I agree with SugarDaddy. If you are satisfied with the performance, it is a good value. However, out of the 180 soaps I have evaluated, only 8 have scored lower on my performance rating. Primary slickness and cushion are decent. Residual slickness and post shave feel are both lacking.

As has already been said, the scent of PDP 63 is amazing. If it were not for the scent, I would have relegated the soap to the shower long ago.
Poor post shave feel with a Shea Butter soap?

A very wet boar brush loaded about twice as long as normal works pretty well.

+1. I find it's best using my boar brush with PdP. A much better job than my normal favorite, a silvertip.

I ordered the Bergamot & Thyme back in the Spring, my first soap of theirs. A great light scent, perfect for warmer months. Great post-shave feel.

Poor post shave feel with a Shea Butter soap?

It is not a Shea Butter soap. It is a soap produced from Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, and sodium palm kernelate with a very small amount of Shea Butter well down in the list of ingredients. Even parfum (Ifragrance) is listed higher than Shea Butter.

If it had more Shea Butter, the post shave might be better. I rate PDP as 8/10 on postshave feel. That means it is OK, but I now have some soaps that have a 10/10 post shave feel immediately after the shave and continue to do so for another 24 hours or more. They are so good, I have started rating them 11/10. The extra point is for the superb post-post shave feel.

Since 2008 I have got through two tins of the original, and a started a No 63. I do have an original in storage. I just ordered another No 63 and a Bergamot and Thyme thinking this was a new scent. My only criticism is the size, I would prefer a Provence Santé size. Boredom sets in.

It is not a Shea Butter soap. It is a soap produced from Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, and sodium palm kernelate with a very small amount of Shea Butter well down in the list of ingredients. Even parfum (Ifragrance) is listed higher than Shea Butter.

If it had more Shea Butter, the post shave might be better. I rate PDP as 8/10 on postshave feel. That means it is OK, but I now have some soaps that have a 10/10 post shave feel immediately after the shave and continue to do so for another 24 hours or more. They are so good, I have started rating them 11/10. The extra point is for the superb post-post shave feel.
I found Institut Karité too slick, and only use it for Feather AC's. Of course YMMV.

I found Institut Karité too slick, and only use it for Feather AC's. Of course YMMV.

Too slick??? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone complain of a soap being too slick. I have seen soaps that lacked cushion if you added too much water in pursuit of slickness.

I have not used Institut Karité, but I have yet to find another soap that is "too slick" and I have evaluated over 90 different formulations. To me, the slicker the better as long as other properties are not sacrificed.

Too slick??? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone complain of a soap being too slick. I have seen soaps that lacked cushion if you added too much water in pursuit of slickness.

I have not used Institut Karité, but I have yet to find another soap that is "too slick" and I have evaluated over 90 different formulations. To me, the slicker the better as long as other properties are not sacrificed.
Institut Karité contains 25% Shea Butter.

Institut Karité contains 25% Shea Butter.

I realize that Institute Karite' contains 25% Shea butter, but I still don't think that would make it "too slick" for me.

My comments earlier about the low Shea Butter content were related to Pre de Provence which has minimal shea butter content. As far as I know, this thread is about PdP, not IK.

I’ve got a sample of PDP 63 waiting to be tried. This thread has inspired me to give it a shot tomorrow. @camoloc seems to know a good thing when he sees it. First impression pre-use: smells good, very hard. I’ll try the boar brush as recommended and report back.

Top Bottom