What's new

I'm Not Joking

So don't all laugh at once. I recently purchased Grooming Department Soap and Visage, which are both Mallard formula soaps. I'm not knocking the soaps as I enjoy them and use them in my regular rotation. I build my lather in a Captain's Choice copper bowl. I've had this bowl for years so any lacquer applied by the Captain has long worn off and the bowl has developed a patina typical of uncoated copper. After lathering both Soap and Visage the bottom of the bowl had quite a different appearance as seen the the attached photos. Appreciate any insight members can offer. BTW I don't feel anything different as regards irritation, etc. when using the Mallard soaps just noticed the shiny copper. I did reach out to Mo but have not received a reply.
Photos attached.
Before
Before.jpg

After Visage
Visage 1.jpg
Visage 2.jpg

After Soap
Soap.jpg

I have eighteen brushes mostly badgers with some boars and I used a selection of them for lathering so it wasn’t just one brush that could have been responsible.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
While human skin is quite resistant to a fairly wide band of properties such as pH, some metals are much more susceptible to even minor variances of pH.
If my face feels ok, I'd not be concerned about changes in the appearance of a copper bowl as indication that my skin is adversely affected.
Vinegar can have devastating effects on aluminum, yet we regularly consume it in various food preparations.

The hydroxide in soap will react with copper, forming an insoluble precipitate. This will then rinse down the drain. You are slowly dissolving your bowl. Some soaps may have higher hydroxide content, accelerating the process compared to others.

If there’s enough unreacted lye in GD soaps to take the patina off copper, it isn’t going anywhere near my Hollywood face.
I find it impossible for there to be unreacted lye in the soap. Putting NaOH or KOH on your skin, you'd know it, cause you'd feel it burn. Only talking from experience here.

If there’s enough unreacted lye in GD soaps to take the patina off copper, it isn’t going anywhere near my Hollywood face.

GD Soaps is one soap I can't imagine to contain unreacted lye. The soaps definitely contain large amounts of superfats! As @bluewater23t said, you'd know in sub-seconds.

It must be something acidic in some of the ingredients or the fragrance. I imagine many fragrances contain small amounts of citric acid.

Top Bottom