What's new

I'm hooked on the GEM1912

I picked up a GEM 1912 and some TREET blades and this is hands down the best shaves I have ever had. My straights will get as smooth,but I cant get next to my adams apple as well. Every soap and cream I have tried,the GEM works just great. Its got a rather short handle with straight lengthwise grooves,but I havent had an issue with the length. I have a gold plated 1912 GEM Junior thats next in the roattion.Single edge razors are awesome!

Single edge razors are the unsung hero of wet shaving.

proxy.php

I just used a 1912 for the first time recently myself, and i must say i was highly impressed. I had heard from people on here before about how great SE razors were, but i didnt believe them. that was a mistake. i love the 1912 now.

The GEM 1912 is probably the best razor designed, within the GEM family of razors.

Why do you think so? I have two I've never tried using. I have shaved several times with my Clog-Prug, including today, and once, so far, with my recently acquired Gbar. (I was going to attach a snapshot of the gold-tone 1912, along with the Micromatic and Gbar, but the box I put the Clog-pruf, VDH brush, Aqua Velva, and Surrey mug in is missing, already. I've put it down this afternoon, and can't figure out where.)

P. S. By looking in places where I should *NOT* have put those items down, I finally found them, but was by then out of the mood for the photograph . . OK, but it's with the "Old" camera, so not as good at closeups.

$Three SEs 2.jpg

Last edited:
I love my 1912, and it's currently my travel razor. I managed to score two identical virginal 1912s off of the bay. I gave one to my barber (and fellow shave geek), who also likes the shaves it gives. A classic design that still performs.

Wayne

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your SE journey Johnny. The 1912 variants have become my most used razors, just love them. Enjoy the journey.

I posted an update in the Aftershave forum. I tried the Junior today with my first stick of Arko and my first splash of Lilac Vegetal. Great shave all around!

One thing i like about GEMs is that as i find some online, alot of them seem to look at least in good condition. Most look new!

One thing i like about GEMs is that as i find some online, alot of them seem to look at least in good condition. Most look new!

My gold-tone 1912 doesn't look hard-used. It came with a shaving mug I wanted, along with a very sad brush . .

Today, just now, I test-shaved with it, and got a pretty good shave -- maybe not as good as the most recent one with my Clug-Pruf, which had been outstanding. I will say this, when it comes to sound effects, my 1912 has a loudspeaker hidden somewhere in it. It's a very noisy little guy! Here's what the setup looked like with Gem Blue Star blade, VDH brush, and VDH Dual Action Bar Soap (the Adidas "dynamic Pulse" aftershave isn't pictured):

View attachment 248664

Top Bottom