What's new

I'm growing a beard

What?? You mean a razor (or many of them) will lie unused? Soap will dry out? Badgers will weep at being unwanted? How selfish of you...

Seriously...good luck with the beard. I bet your first shave after you've had enough of the beard (July/August in Dallas...) will be great!

My advice: when I start to grow my beard I choose a line between my chin and neck, and keep it shaved below that. This cuts down on the itchiness and keeps it looking neat while it grows. Enjoy!

The longest I can go without shaving is 3 or 4 days, and even that is difficult for me to do (only on vacation). Plus my job prohibits beards anyway.

Between the enjoyment of prep, the scintillating sound of a honed edge slicing the weeds and the smell of a good quality aftershave there's no way I could possibly ever do what you are about to do. Good luck.

The early stages are the worst in regards to itchiness, but it goes away after a while. Get a good beard oil or conditioner, that will help with the itch. And I agree with shaving a portion of the neck area with a good line, I also shave my cheek area a bit. Give the beard more definition and keeps me from looking like the wolfman! It is a much cleaner look, in my opinion.

Have fun!

Good luck!

It takes alot more willpower than most people realize to grow a beard. Stick with it!

I grew one 20 years ago, and then I've done so for the past three winters (just started this winter's beard a couple weeks ago..)

I look forward to my beard now.

My wife does not....

Choosing your beard line (below the jaw) is an important factor. Guys who think that trimming along the jaw line will give a more "defined" look to their jaw are mistaken, and it is a common mistake. It ends up giving an unnatural look, you get a beard with your jowls hanging out underneath.

Do not shave at all for at least the first four weeks of growth. One of the most common errors is to attempt to start shaping or sculpting the beard too early in the process. Even if you are just planning to grow a "Van Dyke" or goatee, you should let everything grow for the first four weeks. WHY let your beard grow for four weeks before you start to shape it -- even if you are just growing a goatee? If you don't wait, you might cut off more than you really wanted. Also, you might not have thought about going for the striking effect of an oversized goatee. You can always trim it down to a smaller size later.

Some helpful sites:
http://www.beards.org/neck.php

My advice: when I start to grow my beard I choose a line between my chin and neck, and keep it shaved below that. This cuts down on the itchiness and keeps it looking neat while it grows. Enjoy!

I have to agree with nightcap, I tend to keep shaved just below my jawline to keep a clean appearance, and I also tend to shave my cheeks to keep the few stray hairs down as well.

Beard growing has its risks, you will become susceptible to:

• BOAD- Bead Oil Acquisition Disorder
  • BBAD- Beard Balm Acquisition Disorder
  • BTAD- Beard Trimmer Acquisition Disorder
  • MWAD- Mustache Wax Acquisition Disorder (depends on how long you grow the hair above your upper lip)
  • FAD- Flannel Acquisition Disorder (more common in colder climates)

I hope your wallet and shave den are prepared for all of these possible ADs.

8 days unshaven myself the longest period of non daily shaving in 25 odd years , It's a little weird but i'm going to see how far I can take it and my wife is supportive ��

Top Bottom