What's new

I now own a traditional 8 yard wool kilt

I ordered my family tartan (Gray) which isn't Scottish, but rather Norman, but we Normans made our home in Scotland in the 1200s.

Gray is a family sworn to the Stewarts except for one blacksheep who joined the Sutherlands.

I have the kilt, a matching shawl for my wife, the flyplaid, and hose flashes along with a black hunting sporran. I am waiting the sock knife (it is being made custom as I want a functional piece). I most likely will wear this more casually with a black leather vest and good Army issue Danner boots.

Here is the tartan
proxy.php

What's worn underneath it?

Nothing! It's all in perfect working order!
Oh a scotsman dressed all in his kilt left the bar one evening fair,
And one could tell by the way he walked he drunk more than his share,
He staggered round until he could no longer keep his feet,
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street.
Ring-ding-didalittle-idio,
Ring-di-didley-io,
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street.
Now about that time two young and lovely girls were passing by,
One said to the other with a twinkle in her eye,
See that sleeping scotsman, so strong and handsome built,
I wonder if it's true that he wears nohthin' 'neath his kilt.
Ring-di-didley-io,
I wonder if it's true that he wears nohthin' 'neath his kilt.
So they crept up on the sleeping scotsman quiet as can be,
And they lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see,
And then behold for them to veiw beneath his scottish shirt,
Was nothing more than god had graced him with upon his birth.
Ring-di-didley-io,
Was nothing more than god had graced him with upon his birth.
They marvled for a minute,
Then said we must be gone.
Let's leave him a souvineer before we travel long.
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon,
Tied into a bow,
Around the bunny star the scotsman's kilt didn't let them show.
Ring-di-didley-io,
Around the bunny star the scotsman's kilt didn't let them show.
Now the scotsman rose to nature's calling, headed for the tree.
He lifted up his kilt and he gawks at what he sees,
And in his drunken voice he says at what's before his eyes,
Oh lad I don't know where you've been but I see you've won first prize.
Ring-di-didley-io,
Oh lad I don't know where you've been but I see you've won first prize.
Our scottish friend still dressed in kilt continued down the street,
He hadn't gone ten yards or more when a girl he tends to meet,
She said I heard whats under there tell me if it's so,
And he said just slip your hand up miss if you'd really like to know.
Ring-di-didley-io,
And he said just slip your hand up miss if you'd really like to know.
She put is hand right up his kilt and much to her suprise,
The scotsman smiled and a very look came to his eyes,
She cried oh sir that's gruesome, and then she heard him roar,
Put your hand up once again you'll find it's gruesome more,
Ring-di-didley-io,
If you put you put your hand up once again you'll find it gruesome more.

May one ask what a typical Scotsman's kilt might cost? I've heard they can be quite expensive.
Premium 8 yard kilt (threads of the seams are on the inside)
Hunting Sporran (pouch for wallet, keys, hanky, flask)
Flyplaid (cape for lack of a better term for super formal occasions) made from same bolt of wool as kilt
shawl for wife from same bolt of wool
clan hat pin
clan belt buckle
kilt belt (three inch with celtic knots embossed)
clan kilt pin
hose flashes
black hose
kilt hanger (to hang kilt in closet)

All this came to just under $1500.00
I paid a surcharge as my tartan isn't one that is available off the rack so it costs a bit extra and there is a bit extra wait time while the cloth is woven. I do have the extra material as it was sent with the kilt.

The Sgian Dubh (sock knife) ran about 165.00, but is being made custom as I wanted function over looks.

I already have tuxedo jackets and suit jackets and tuxedo vests so I didn't buy the vest or jacket. I also have the formal dress shoes, the casual dress shoes, and Army issue Danner boots so I am set for footwear.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's a beaut! Congrats on the buy.
Please try to keep the innuendo under control if you would please, this is a family friendly site.

Congrats! Can't wait to see it.

I'm assuming USA Kilts is making it? Unfortunately I've grown out of the kilts I currently own, so I need to get back down to size. I have 8 yards of a custom tartan I designed that I will someday have made into a kilt as well.

Congrats! Can't wait to see it.

I'm assuming USA Kilts is making it? Unfortunately I've grown out of the kilts I currently own, so I need to get back down to size. I have 8 yards of a custom tartan I designed that I will someday have made into a kilt as well.
I posted a photo of the tartan I took as the kilt just got here not too long ago, and I abhor selfies unless it is a self portrait taken with a camera and remote shutter release.

USA Kilts made it.

Ouch! But that's in line with what others have told me.
I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Fifteen hundred for a plaid skirt? I think I'm gonna go in the kilt-making business!"
This is for the premium right yard kilt. They make five yard kilts which cost less.

The sporran is a bit over 250.00, I picked up the hat pin, brooch, and flyplaid.

Buying the flyplaid at the time of the kilt purchase ensures the cloth comes from the same bolt much like buying a suit as opposed to suit separates.

The kilt by itself was about 600.00

Ouch! But that's in line with what others have told me.
I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Fifteen hundred for a plaid skirt? I think I'm gonna go in the kilt-making business!"

The kilt itself is usually $500-800 for 7-8 yards of wool to custom measurements. The $1500 mentioned above is for the whole package. Having made kilts myself, I can tell you it’s worth paying someone else to do. 😂

The kilt itself is usually $500-800 for 7-8 yards of wool to custom measurements. The $1500 mentioned above is for the whole package. Having made kilts myself, I can tell you it’s worth paying someone else to do. 😂
I figured if I bought the flyplaid now it would match perfectly....it may only get used for weddings, Christmas and Easter church services, but I have it.

I bought a hunting sporran as even in jeans I don't like my keys jingling in my pocket so I wouldn't like sporran tassels drumming

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My friend bought a dress kilt probably 15 or 20 years ago, from Scotland, and I think he had $2000 in just the kilt! His is a Black Guard, I believe. A thing of beauty.

So I'd say you done good! He's single, I'm not. THAT'S why I don't have a kilt!

My friend bought a dress kilt probably 15 or 20 years ago, from Scotland, and I think he had $2000 in just the kilt! His is a Black Guard, I believe. A thing of beauty.

So I'd say you done good! He's single, I'm not. THAT'S why I don't have a kilt!
And this is why I bought my wife a matching shawl.

I also have a Utility kilt which is made from canvas.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Flyplaid (cape for lack of a better term for super formal occasions) made from same bolt of wool as kilt
clan hat pin
clan belt buckle
clan kilt pin
hose flashes
black hose

I paid a surcharge as my tartan isn't one that is available off the rack so it costs a bit extra and there is a bit extra wait time while the cloth is woven. I do have the extra material as it was sent with the kilt.

The Sgian Dubh (sock knife) ran about 165.00, but is being made custom as I wanted function over looks.

I already have tuxedo jackets and suit jackets and tuxedo vests so I didn't buy the vest or jacket. I also have the formal dress shoes, the casual dress shoes, and Army issue Danner boots so I am set for footwear.
That total price is not out of line with a tuxedo/dinner suit, pleated shirt, cufflinks and studs, cummerbund, bow tie, formal socks, and patent or other suitably formal shoes, and it sounds like more fun.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
clan hat pin
clan belt buckle
clan kilt pin
hose flashes
black hose

Would you mind me asking who you purchased your kilt and accessories from?

Top Bottom