What's new

I need to get my hands on Tamales!

Has anyone ordered tamales online? If so where? I've seen a bunch of places selling them, but who is good? I've also noticed some of the shipping costing upwards of $65!

I've tried making these things and I just don't have it down. I make a huge mess and all the filling ends up throughout the whole tamale not in the center.

Mmm tamales! This place is awesome: http://www.tamarastamales.com/ though I've never ordered mail delivery from them. Used to just go pick them up as needed. They have an e-tamale section that lists UPS delivery, maybe they can help you out. Genuine classic tamales in a zillion different flavors.
Good luck!

By the way, I recommend their chicken mole tamales. Damn tasty!

Has anyone ordered tamales online? If so where? I've seen a bunch of places selling them, but who is good? I've also noticed some of the shipping costing upwards of $65!

I've tried making these things and I just don't have it down. I make a huge mess and all the filling ends up throughout the whole tamale not in the center.

If you'd be willing to pay for shipping I'll send you some from my mom. All the women in my family get together before Christmas (12/18 this year) and have a party about it. I honestly think it's to get liquored up:bored:.

If they have enough I'll buy a cooler and get some to you IF they have enough.

They usually make beef, chicken, cheese, corn/cheese, and jalapeno/cheese.

Is there a local Hispanic store or area where you live? If so, I'd ask around and see if any are made locally. Here in TX, it's pretty easy, on the other side of the Mason Dixon, I'm not so sure.

RI is not very tamale friendly. There was a local hispanic market, she recently closed. The only other place I found local is OK. I think I might just have to look in MA or CT, or even NYC. Any suggestions in those areas?

Most of the online places ship 2 day or 1 day and the rates are just too high.

@Azmark, I appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask someone to go through that trouble. Plus I think shipping will still be ridiculous, it seems to be the norm. Thank you though, very nice offer.

I think the sipping rate is high because the method of shipping. Some may ship in dry ice and send it in a Styrofoam cooler.

Well, Somerville, Ma has many restaurants that sell tamales, I'm sure any of them would be happy to make them in bulk for you. Maya Sol on Broadway is one of my favorites.

RI is not very tamale friendly. There was a local hispanic market, she recently closed. The only other place I found local is OK. I think I might just have to look in MA or CT, or even NYC. Any suggestions in those areas?

Most of the online places ship 2 day or 1 day and the rates are just too high.

@Azmark, I appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask someone to go through that trouble. Plus I think shipping will still be ridiculous, it seems to be the norm. Thank you though, very nice offer.

Figure out where the local hispanics hang around. Go ask one of them. My dad really likes poblano peppers, but could not find them in the local supermarkets, He asked a couple of Hispanic customers at his carwash about them, and one of the guys told him right where to get them, and gave him a couple od ideas for cooking them. Now he can feast on Poblanos anytime he wants.

There is a Mexican store near where I live that sells them for $1.50 a piece. I think that is a little much, but they sure do taste good.

I have to vote for a bit more practice on making your own. http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Tamale_Recipe.htm gives you some very good pics on how to make them. http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/tamales-recipe.html has some good pics as well. There are a lot of places on the web giving various recipes, and the thing about learning to make them yourself is you can spice them to your taste and not someone elses taste.

Just think about it how hard can it be to make these things? I make them everyonece in a while and each time they get a bit better. But, I have yet to get the tase from a tamalle that I remember as a kid in Evansville IN where they would sell them from a cart at night. They had a spice I have not been able to figure out even after 50 years! Oh and they were not wrapped in corn husks but Seranwrap! I have have tried that and it works quite well, I can freze them without extra steps because of the wrap!

It was probably chili powder.

Don't think it was so simple as chili power - but then again it may have been some variation of chili that I am missing. I am going to try some Ancho chili power - and there is one called tepin I am going to keep an eye out for.

Somerville, MA you say.:huh:

Looks like I'll have to check it out.

If you haven't hit up Broadway for South American food....do it, often :)

You really can't go wrong with any of places around there from my experience, but I eat at Maya Sol once a week with some friends so I am partial to there.

I haven't had any of the Brazilian BBQ/buffets around there yet, but that is my next move.

Great, reasonably priced food in Somerville.

If you haven't hit up Broadway for South American food....do it, often :)

You really can't go wrong with any of places around there from my experience, but I eat at Maya Sol once a week with some friends so I am partial to there.

I haven't had any of the Brazilian BBQ/buffets around there yet, but that is my next move.

Great, reasonably priced food in Somerville.

I'm going to get some Tamales tommorow as take-out.
Hell the place is just a five minute walk from my house.

Since we moved to Japan we have been slowly teaching ourselves how to make what me miss from living in San Diego for so long. After a lot of experimentation we are finding that the flavors we love so much are not from any elaborate spicing but are in fact from some simple and sometimes unsuspected ingredients.

If a carpetbagger and his Washington State wife can make Tamales that make our Mexican friends go "omnomnom", I am sure you can too. I can send you a recipe when I get home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom