What's new

I killed my "black beauty"...

So,, I picked up a dirt-cheap Gillette "Black Beauty" in pretty nice shape and decided to clean it up.... I just recently got my first adjustable in a PIF from "tgarza",, but I couldn't resist this deal... A Gem Jr,, and "Autostrop",, and the black beauty for $10......

The adjustment knob was stuck,, so I let it soak in the usual aerosol tile soap and some hot water for a while.... Here comes my "don't try this at home" warning to everybody.....

The knob still wouldn't budge after an hour in the sauce,, so I dried it off and held the head while trying to turn the adjustor.... "CLICK...!!!"... there goes the spring.... Awesome.... I just ruined the thing.....

The main body of the razor was spinning when it shouldn't,, and there were gaps in all sorts of places that there shouldn't have been.... I managed to get it tightened to the point of being mostly functional,, minus the detent spring that broke....

Now,, the gap goes from nothing to .1" (it spins 1-9 THREE times...!!!)...

Maybe I'm on to something here... It's now "Super-Hyper-Nitro-Stealth-Mach 17-Fission-Uber-Afterburner-Turbo-Lather Injected-Ultra-Adjustable to the 3rd power........ Call Gillette.... :rolleyes:

Anyway,,, to those of you that may encounter this problem,,, DO NOT be a ******* and do what I did..... I don't know the best way to fix a stuck adjustor,,, but now I know how NOT to do it (and so do you)........

Ouch! When that thing snapped you must have felt that horrible "sinking" feeling. that feeling that something has gone terribly wrong. You know what, the Black Beauty is totally over rated razor. You didn't want it anyway.

I've got a broken Super Adjustable that you might be able to use for parts. PM me if your interested.

Dude! That sucks! But just think, that leaves the door open for experimentation with other razors...

Gotta look at the bright side, ya know!

I turned a Black Beauty into an albino by boiling it in oxyclean! I kind of like the look but the handle and adjuster also came loose in the process.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom