What's new

I hate shaving right now!

As some of you might know, I'm currently deployed to Kyrgyzstan. We've had no hot water for a few days now. Showering isn't bad but shaving sucks! I'm talking ice cold water! The hot water should be back by the end of the week. Any tips?

I don't have any advice for you, but I read a post (either here or on SMF) a short while back about a veteran who had to learn to shave with cold water in the service and he never went back to hot water after he returned home. Now that's manly! Good luck with your shaves. Hang in there.

As some of you might know, I'm currently deployed to Kyrgyzstan. We've had no hot water for a few days now. Showering isn't bad but shaving sucks! I'm talking ice cold water! The hot water should be back by the end of the week. Any tips?

Best one I can think of at the moment is if you have (I dunno if they still have them actually) a MRE heater and a metal cup you could use those to make a military issue scuttle :w00t: that would at least give you warm lather. Camp stove would also be a good choice if you have one.

Won't be as nice as a near unlimited supply of hot water, but better than a cold shave.

Is it legal to grow a beard for a week? I wish I could be help, but that is what I would be thinking.

Golfnut --

I know it sucks, but just tough it out for a week. Just do a one-pass presentable shave, and go very light on the sensitive areas 'til you can get some warm water. Vehicle engines are a good source of heat. I don't know what your billeting arrangements are, but if you have some sort of stove or radiator or similar, get inventive and transfer some of that warmth to some water. Be a hero and show the other guys how to do it. Just reach inside and show some of that inventiveness that the American GI has always displayed when needed. I hope that at least you have some decent blades and a source for lather. Get creative and do your best.

Understand, that if I could ship you some hot water, I would.

40 years ago, I was field shaving out of a steel pot GI helmet with a DE and Blue blades that were well past their service life. For a fair while, I ended up hand lathering some facial suds using a bar of GI soap which I'm sure was formulated for scrubbing floors or washing vehicles --it damned sure wasn't made for shaving. Bleeech. :mad3:

We are honored with your service. If there's something you need (other than hot water. :biggrin: ), drop me a PM and I'll help out.

-- John Gehman

Use an MRE heater to heat up some water. You can pour the water in one of the clear beverage pouches and then put it in the MRE heater bag. It should get pretty toasty. I dont know if it will be enough to soak your face in but it should definitely be enough for your brush and to generate lather.

Best one I can think of at the moment is if you have (I dunno if they still have them actually) a MRE heater and a metal cup you could use those to make a military issue scuttle :w00t: that would at least give you warm lather. Camp stove would also be a good choice if you have one.

Won't be as nice as a near unlimited supply of hot water, but better than a cold shave.

+1 just don't burn yourself!

How about one of those camping showers that warms up in the sun? Or leaving a steel bowl filled with water out in the sun. Or soaking a black washcloth and leaving it out in the sun in a metal bowl :) Or some variation thereof...

If you find a product that looks like it could work but need me to get it shipped to you let me know how I can help! The thought of a cold shave makes me sad.

i always shave with about 1 liter of warm water (no warm water pipe to my room), i geuss i could do it with 0.5 if i have to. just a mug to soak the brush and after soak you use the smae for rinsing the blade.

First and formost, thank you for your service.

If you are not in a tent and in a heated room of somekind, could you put some water out to get to room temerature? Not hot, but not necessarily cold, either.

A brushless shave cream may be another idea.

Ok, dose of reality here.

If you're in the field (which I assume you are) as opposed to on base, I would focus on getting as decent a shave as possible in as little time as possible. The primary purpose of a clean shave is to ensure a good seal for your gas mask - the secondary issue is to pass inspection. BBS is not a priority.

I would go for a DE or cartridge razor and some unscented brushless gel/cream.

If you have time, smear a little cream on your face and let it sit there for a bit to soften up your beard and then go at it.

Using a brushless product (especially the gels) requires minimum water (just need it to rinse the razor and splash on your face to remove any remaining gel.

Bronner's has a new shave gel on the market, but there are lots of others out there, including many that are paraben free if that's an issue.

The reason I suggest unscented is twofold (i) to avoid attracting insects/animals and (ii) to avoid attracting enemies - its amazing how far scent travels and how easy it is to pick up foreign scents.

Top Bottom