What's new

I found my use for Nivia Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm

This has been a product that I struggled to figure out the best way for me to use it. I prefer an alcohol splash, especially in the summer. So there was one strike against it. Also, in terms of balms, my L'Occitane and PdP balms performed better. Add to that the fact that the Proraso splashes, red and green, with added aloe and vitamin E, actually do have a moisturizing feel to them, left Nivia in a no-man's zone for me. However, I still couldn't get past the fact that it is a pretty good product that when you add the context of its price and presentation, with that nice glass bottle, becomes hard to just move on from.

As winter is nearing, I know that I will move towards more use of balms. I also will move away from menthol products like Proraso green, but there are other splash scents that work will with winter. What I have started doing is combining some of the alcohol splashes which contain no moisturizing attributes with a finish of Nivia balm. The scent of the Nivia doesn't interfere. In the end, I find the Nivia mutes the initial splash scent, but locks it in longer in the day. Most importantly, I get a Proraso Green or Red Splash type feel with splashes like Clubman, Bay Rum splashes, etc.

Anyone else do this? I would like to know your thoughts. I guess it would work with an unscented moisturizer like my wife's Aveeno. If you haven't done this, give it a thought. I find it works pretty well.

I’m very new to the wet shaving world but I do the same but opposite. I apply the balm first, wait a moment or two to absorb then apply my AS. Balm does not interfere with the AS sent and moistures my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems kind of like overkill to me. You dont NEED to do both. I guess my question would be is what does Nivea not do that you want it to do? All any aftershave is supposed to do is clean and sooth your skin after the shave. Really, the only thing that Nivea lacks is any kind of a scent.

Where Nivea fits in my use of products is when I've had a particularly rough shave, ie. when I try to stretch out one more shave than I should from a blade, then the Nivea really helps to calm the skin and moisturize it better than my normal AS splashes do. It is more of a lotion so it should be used for that purpose I think...

That seems kind of like overkill to me. You dont NEED to do both. I guess my question would be is what does Nivea not do that you want it to do? All any aftershave is supposed to do is clean and sooth your skin after the shave. Really, the only thing that Nivea lacks is any kind of a scent.

I enjoy the sensation of a splash. If all I wanted was soothing effect, I’d PIF the Nivea as it is second fiddle in that department to my PdP balms. Overall I don’t use balms as much as splashes, but in the winter having a bit more moisturizing effect than a splash is nice. As an add-on to another product, PdP and l’Occitane are too pricey. That is where Nivea comes in. So so on its own, but cheap enough to boost the performance of a splash to make it more suitable for winter use of me.

Gotcha. If you just like a splash, I see where youre coming from. If you like a splash but want something a bit more soothing, you could just try some Thayer's. I find it to be very soothing without the harshness of alcohol.

I do the same. I usually use Nivea sensitive and follow it up with Skin Bracer or Clubman.
I’m very new to the wet shaving world but I do the same but opposite. I apply the balm first, wait a moment or two to absorb then apply my AS. Balm does not interfere with the AS sent and moistures my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the vitamin shoppe a got a few essential oils. A drop on the palm or a few in the bottle and you have scented nivea. I really like the product and the bottle. I currently have a patchouli mix. I enjoy a splash fallowed by a balm. Just my two cents. Good luck

fotor_(4).jpg
Sounds interesting, but never seen it in the U.S. Do you know who may carry it?
Not sure. I'm in Singapore.

This is what it looks like.

It's also got menthol but it's not strong.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Nivea 2 Phase is excellent. I do love Nivea products but this product is just excellent.

. What I have started doing is combining some of the alcohol splashes which contain no moisturizing attributes with a finish of Nivia balm. The scent of the Nivia doesn't interfere. In the end, I find the Nivia mutes the initial splash scent, but locks it in longer in the day.

Anyone else do this? I would like to know your thoughts. I guess it would work with an unscented moisturizer like my wife's Aveeno. If you haven't done this, give it a thought. I find it works pretty well.

IMO, some of the "traditional type aftershaves" (predominately based on water & alcohol) lack enough moisturizing properties - some don't have any moisturizing ingredients at all. After a very close shave and using a drying aftershave splash, your skin might feel a little raw. Using a balm afterwards or mixing it with your splash, will definitely help by adding needed moisture to your skin.

In the past, I have also used Nivea Sensitive ASB and cut it with 2 or 3 squirts of my favorite EDT. This resulted in an aftershave that would deliver the soothing properties of the balm and the fragrance would also match your EDT. As you mentioned, Nivea Sensitive has a very light "neutral fragrance", which won't clash with anything else you are wearing, therefore it definitely works well as a product to cut with your favorite splash or EDT. If you enjoy this concept, I recommend you try some of the aftershave gel's that are available and often used in the same way, such as, 444 ASB & Vifrex. I absolutely agree that you could just about use this concept with other balms or moisturizers, as long as they are not very fragrant. Worth giving Aloe Vera Gel a shot as well.

I always have a bottle of Nivea Sensitive available. These days, I usually just apply a little after my splash only if I ever feel my skin needs a little more moisture. It's a light balm and works well in that respect. It can help rehydrate your skin during the colder months, but it's also light enough to be used in the summer as well.

IMO, you can use whatever works for you. A post-shave routine that is insufficient or overkill for one person, might be perfect for someone else.

This has been a product that I struggled to figure out the best way for me to use it. I prefer an alcohol splash, especially in the summer. So there was one strike against it. Also, in terms of balms, my L'Occitane and PdP balms performed better. Add to that the fact that the Proraso splashes, red and green, with added aloe and vitamin E, actually do have a moisturizing feel to them, left Nivia in a no-man's zone for me. However, I still couldn't get past the fact that it is a pretty good product that when you add the context of its price and presentation, with that nice glass bottle, becomes hard to just move on from.

As winter is nearing, I know that I will move towards more use of balms. I also will move away from menthol products like Proraso green, but there are other splash scents that work will with winter. What I have started doing is combining some of the alcohol splashes which contain no moisturizing attributes with a finish of Nivia balm. The scent of the Nivia doesn't interfere. In the end, I find the Nivia mutes the initial splash scent, but locks it in longer in the day. Most importantly, I get a Proraso Green or Red Splash type feel with splashes like Clubman, Bay Rum splashes, etc.

I do this often with Nivea and also with Gillette balm as well. Nivea and Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer works well.. Gillette Cool Wave + Gillette balm is a nice combo. I haven't tried it with regular lotion before.

Top Bottom