What's new

I finally tried an alum block and…

…. I’m mad at myself for not doing this earlier! I was always a bit nervous about using an alum block because I have sensitive skin and thought the “burn” would be too over the top. So, I just stuck with the roll-on Nick Stick for weepers and cuts (which doesn’t work very well IMHO) and just aftershave balm. Problem was, I still had irritation more times than not that lasted way longer than I thought it should.

So, this last week I was back in OKC and stopped at Carwin’s Shave Shop to get another shave cream and started talking about things with the gentleman working there. He looked at me kind of surprised like and asked, “how come you don’t use an alum block?” So I told him my reasons. Which, apparently were founded mostly in falsehood. He schooled me a bit, so I bought a ToOBS alum block and headed back to my hotel excited for the afternoon shave.

What an awesome post-shave experience! I rinsed my face in cold water, got all the cream residue off, and started sliding the alum block over my wet face. Holy cow! Yeah, there was some burn, but I could feel my pores tighten, and the couple weepers I had on my neck instantly stopped. The burn didn’t last long and was not nearly as intense as I’d anticipated. I let it set on my face for about 45 seconds and then rinsed it off with cold water. The redness left on my face, usually pretty prominent for about an hour after a shave was just about nil. I applied my aftershave balm and my face felt amazing. I have used the alum block in my last eight shaves and will never NOT use it!

what a game changer!

Thanks for listening.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Congrats - I'm a long time user - it also works to improve your grip on wet brushes or razors - just rub on the fingertips. Or as a deodorant ..

There is a propensity to having the block itself slip during handling, resulting in shards all over, so be aware. My last couple bars (they last a very long time if you don't drop them) have avoided breakage, the second last lives in the dopp kit now ..

Thanks for the inspiration! You convinced me to order my first alum block about 10 minutes ago. I have several nice de and se razors but have never gotten a block for the same reasons you cite. Sounds good to me: it was time to reorder some new styptic pencils anyway, so bring that alum block magic instead!

Are all alum blocks the same???
Not exactly the same. The main ingredient is potassium aluminum sulfate (aka potassium alum or just alum), which does occur as a natural crystal. Some alum blocks are actually cut from a natural stone, others are formed from alum that is chemically processed.

Osma is one of the best ones. Omega also offers a nice one that is formed as a stick with a plastic holder and container. The advantage being you have something firm to hold on to, so less chance of dropping and shattering it.

Some alum is made from ammonium aluminum sulfate, which is not as suitable for shaving. Sometimes known as ammonium alum (or just alum) it's more often used for things like water purification.

Last edited:
Bloc Osma has been a regular part of my routine for years. I don't always use it but do, probably, 7-8 times out of 10. I've tried Crystal's deodorant stick but don't care for the ergonomics of it although it's the same composition. Also, once bought a couple of claimed raw but polished cubes of it but, again, didn't care for the ergos. Bloc Osma from France is my go to. I have no idea if it's magic or a placebo but it lets you know if you screwed up and takes care of weepers/irritation about as well as anything else I've tried. Fortunately, those are both very rare things for me at this stage so I use it as much out of habit as anything else.

Bloc Osma has been a regular part of my routine for years. I don't always use it but do, probably, 7-8 times out of 10. I've tried Crystal's deodorant stick but don't care for the ergonomics of it although it's the same composition. Also, once bought a couple of claimed raw but polished cubes of it but, again, didn't care for the ergos. Bloc Osma from France is my go to. I have no idea if it's magic or a placebo but it lets you know if you screwed up and takes care of weepers/irritation about as well as anything else I've tried. Fortunately, those are both very rare things for me at this stage so I use it as much out of habit as anything else.
The natural antiseptic properties are also a huge plus!

Reactions: Kix
I've never used alum block, and I've been a daily wet shaver since 1951.

I guess the reason I've not used it is I've never felt the need for it. I also belong to the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" club.
I totally get that. For me, though, my post shave routine was broken; this helped fix it.

Osma is the only decent one I found. The others crumble.

That said, I only use it as a razor and brush finger gripper.

I never got any benefit from using it as a post shave routine.
This one from ToOBS seems very solid and doesn’t seem to WANT to crumble.

I bought the Crystal alum deodorant stick 20 years ago and still have it. I have combination skin and a lot of things seem to irritate it- the main reason I shave with unscented and olive oil based soaps. Alum doesn't really work well for me. It's very drying. I shave my head also, though, and can use it on my neck and under the ears in the back when I get in-growns or something there.

Outside of dropping one, an alum stick is not something that has to be replaced often. In my case, it'll probably outlive me.

I used alum with my very first DE shave and have ever since. Now I couldn't imagine a shave without it. It's become a regular part of my routine. I like the way it makes my skin feel with a cold water rinse and the way it prepares the skin for an aftershave.

I always keep a second block on hand to use as deodorant/anti-perspirant.

Preferred brand is Bloc Osma for its superior "structural integrity."

linty1

My wallet cries.
I must prefer the alum block type that comes with a plastic base, just easier to grip for me. A quick wet and rub on (hey! this is a family board) and rub on the towel dry and mine has lasted a long time.

I assume most of you who use these are rinsing your face afterward? I don't leave alum on my face for more than about a minute or two before rinsing it off.
Yep, I do. After about a minute or so. I was warned that not rinsing your face will leave it chalky and the aftershave would have little to no effect.

Reactions: CCS
I bought the Crystal alum deodorant stick 20 years ago and still have it. I have combination skin and a lot of things seem to irritate it- the main reason I shave with unscented and olive oil based soaps. Alum doesn't really work well for me. It's very drying. I shave my head also, though, and can use it on my neck and under the ears in the back when I get in-growns or something there.

Outside of dropping one, an alum stick is not something that has to be replaced often. In my case, it'll probably outlive me.
I get what you mean by the alum block leaving your skin dry. I was a little anxious about that as well, but my aftershave balms take care of that immediately.

This looks like something that might be good if I ever get into straight razor shaving. I like what I'm reading about the effects on nicks and cuts.

Top Bottom