What's new

I feel dirty, I bought an Axe product...

When I was teaching high school, I had a “no Axe” rule in my classroom. I often used the opportunity of the occasional overpowering aroma to teach the guys about the concept of being subtle.

Axe Spray has its place for an adult, in a pinch. Like when you’re out of proper deodorant and are heading out the door for work.
For three years or so I’d place a travel size container of Axe in my teenaged sons stockings at Christmas. I still have about four of these little cans lying around that they’ve left behind, and will give a light spritz when the need arises.
Oddly, years later when preparing for their cousin’s wedding they both approached me post shower and shave and asked if I had an aftershave they could use.
“Boys, say hello to The Veg”, which I had thoughtfully brought for the occasion. Both sniffed it, shrugged and said, “Yeah, okay.”
Hmmmm I think I discovered a new stocking stuffer...

Just bought a bottle of the Axe Alaska aftershave out of nostalgia because it came out in 94 when I was in high school and it's one of the few Axe fragrances that have survived the decades. Axe Musk came out in 1983. And I think those two are the only ones to have survived.
I'm in my 40s and a good fragrance is a good fragrance. There's no such thing as too old for a fragrance. I've been using Axe products for a few decades and they always come up with good stuff. I still use their discontinued Deep Space deodorant. I love the peppery and fresh smell. I also own an Axe black aftershave. In 2005ish, they came out with the limited Below Zero and Air. Both smelled great.
Sometimes, I prefer a subtle bouqet and Axe is great for everyday use. I don't feel the need to splash on my 50 bucks YSL when I go shopping.

I am really not picky when it comes to antiperspirant and buy what is on sale from brands that don’t cause irritation... Axe, Old Spice and Mennen come to mind. Whatever is cheapest when I run out, I pull the trigger.

I don’t use any other of their stuff though. Their shower gel took me forever to wash off.

I was looking online for a sandalwood scented antiperspirant. Something that might pair well with my daily Proraso Wood & Spice cologne. I'm in Texas, so deodorant is not an option for me, has to be an antiperspirant, so that ruled a lot of sandalwood-scented stuff out. Dove Men+Care has one, but it's almost impossible to find that particular one around here.

So, I started looking online, saw sandalwood as part of Old Spice's Hawkridge scent and put that on my list. One of my searches returned Axe's Apollo scent, so I figured I'd look that one up. I didn't like the overall profile on it, so I figured it couldn't hurt (too much) to look at the rest of the Axe line. Their Signature Gold got my attention: Oud and Vanilla. So, I put that on my list. Went to the store this morning, and sniffed both the OS Hawkridge and Axe Signature Gold products. Didn't like the Hawkridge, not anything like the Proraso Wood & Spice at all. But the Axe, I liked it.

So, now I've bought an Axe product. And, at 40, I'm, what, twice the age of their target demographic? :001_tt2:

Axe's scents aren't really all that bad, if they aren't overused. The more popular scent were made by a real nose and she does a good job at creating something original and modern that still leaves a big impression.

Apollo is a good choice and probably the most casual of the bunch. The oud vanilla (Dark Temptation I think is another name for it?) is good if you like that sort of thing.

If you like that style of scent you'ld probably like Salvador Dali pour Homme, it has a similar style scent to Axe Phoenix. Sort of an herbal gourmand scent.

I also started using Axe again when I hit fourty.
Before that the last time I used Axe was in the early 90's in my teens - Musk it was and I used to drown in that ish.

I started with Dark Temptation - the chocolate scented one and really liked it.

Tried some classics like Apollo and Africa but didn't really care for them at all.
Leather and Cookies - terrible.

Then came Excite and Ice Chill both are great summer scents I think.

Finally I tried the Axe Gold "Oud wood and Dark Vanilla"... smells more expensive and grown up than the usual, my absolute favorite by Axe but more a scent for the colder days.

Then a year ago or so Axe changed formulas, designed a new bottle for their After Shaves - which tries to look fancy but really sucks - and watered everything down, AS and deodorant.

Now the Gold AS smells nothing like before anymore. More on the fake oud side, no Vanilla.

I also ordered the Musk AS for old times sake, but was super disappointed, smells like cat ****.

The Excite was discontinued it seems. Old AS bottles an Amazon are like 10 bucks now - thanks, but not thanks I rather invest that in some good ole Clubman (which costs like 12ish here on Amazon Germany).

Didn' try the Ice Chill in the new bottle yet.

Top Bottom