What's new

I am ashamed of myself

I just went and bought a nice atra handle off the bay for days when I am in a hurry and just need a quick shave without the need for precision that a DE razor needs. The other reason for this is for travel duty. I can use this and not have to worry as much about the water quality and if I can get a great lather. Oh the humanity! :lol:

Well, you can't deny the essentially utilitarian nature of shaving. Thinking about picking up a can of Barbasol myself for this same reason. Not the Atra though. Never tried that one. I think my first actual razor was the Sensor. Do they still make that one?

Not sure. I know I have seen cartridges for it at the local Walgreens. I figured the fewer the blades the better. I do agree though that shaving can be enjoyable at times, but when you need to hurry. Its gotta be quick and traditional shaving (for me as of now) isn't quick while I am learning my technique.

You can get European and Asian versions with the Gillette name. They sell as Contour and Vector. Lord also makes a compatible handle under the Premium Plus name. The Dorco Pace Comfort Thin II will work with Atra compatible cartridges. Being Dorco, you can find them in the US under other names. I bought mine in a Dollar General to use with some Atra compatible cartridges I bought by accident years ago.

FWIW, I get a better shave from the Atra compatible cartridges than I do genuine Sensor Excel. However, those compatible cartridges are also better than the cartridges that came with the razor. Caveat Emptor.

That's neat. I should probably get something like that for travel. I always forget to mail blades beforehand and end up going on a hunt at the drugstores.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Ah, there's no reason to be ashamed in the least (even in a tongue in cheek manner). You gotta do what you gotta do!

That's neat. I should probably get something like that for travel. I always forget to mail blades beforehand and end up going on a hunt at the drugstores.

To be fair that was the main reason I bought it. Cartridge razors, for me, have been more forging towards a lacking lather, but are more expensive. Plus you can have cartridge blades on carry on versus having to mail out blades or pay for checked baggage.

Well, you can't deny the essentially utilitarian nature of shaving. Thinking about picking up a can of Barbasol myself for this same reason. Not the Atra though. Never tried that one. I think my first actual razor was the Sensor. Do they still make that one?

I believe Gillette quit making the razor itself, but carts are still available. I have no idea if they plan on phasing out the carts. I kept my razor and a fresh pack of carts jic I travel, wake up late, etc and just need a quickie.

Nothing wrong with keeping a cartridge razor on hand. I probably always will. What I won't do is buy a new googol blade one pass shaves your whole body type razor setup.

Well, that's the only time I would use a cart, when I am traveling. I have a Gillette Contour handle (the European Trac) that I used when I was a kid. This is a nice handle made of aluminum but I can't find carts for this now. But I do have a Gillette Sensor that I use when I travel. It also has a nice metal handle (in blue).
:blushing::001_rolle

$Gillette Contour.jpg
$Gillette Sensor Blue.jpg

I considered Atra a step backwards from Trac II. It's supposedly pivoting head never worked quite as well as controlling the angle myself, and even Trac II's functionality was limited. I never got anything near BBS out of it and for all those decades did not know such a thing was possible.
The Gillette Guard may be worth a try. I've used it for body shaving in the shower and its pivot works great for that. I'm way too much a fan of DE and BBS to risk wasting a shave by bringing it to my face, but if you are using carts anyway it may as well be Guard. The Guard razors and carts are fairly cheap on eBay.

I used to think I grew up with Gillette (buying everything new they put out) but for the life of me I can't remember ever having an Atra. The first one I had was their Techmatic then at some point on the the Trac II and later the Sensor series. Where did the Atra fit into this progression?

Top Bottom