What's new

How will you honor Memorial Day?

I wasn't sure where to post this so Mods, feel free to move it.

In my view, one of the downsides of moving the U.S. Federal holiday to fall on a Monday rather than on the original designated day is that the real purpose of honoring those who paid the ultimate price is often lost. For many, it has become just another three day weekend to party and other activities that have nothing to do with the original purpose of the day. Getting together with friends and family is certainly not a bad thing, but we should also remember those who have paid the price so that we are able to do so.

With that in mind, I would be interested to know what my fellow U. S. A. members of B&B do to honor those who gave all. It has been my practice for many years to go to the cemetery where many members of my family are buried and participate in the Memorial Day events such as Flag placement and watch some of the reenactments. While there, I will also do some plantings at my parents plot and, if necessary, tend to some other neighboring plots. My Great Grandfather who fought with General Grant is buried there so it is my honor to place a flag at his grave.

My Father in Law was part of a firing squad and team that placed thousands of flags at small town veterans cemeteries for years. Now we place a flag on his grave.

Yes, I will also get together with friends and family, have a cook out or two and do some things around the house...that is part of what they sacrificed for as well. Today I will put up the red, white and blue bunting that will stay up through the fourth of July. The Flag flies twenty four seven on our home and yes it is lit at night.

I hope we will all take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of the day.

Best regards,

Doug

In the small town 5,000 pop., I live in here in Northern Indiana the American Legion hold an all night vigil at the cemetery with LED lights at every Veterans Grave plus the Flag of course. Last night I was one of those that helped placing new flag at the graves and Sunday I have a 1 hour, possibly 2 hour vigil at the cemetery. Monday we have a community parade with Honor Guard and a Ceremony at the memorial at the cemetery. I do not march in the parade, no longer able to, but I do attend the ceremony.

Last edited:
We dont have the memorial day in Canada, instead (like every countries of the commonwealth) we have the remembrance day that is celebrated every 11 november. For red poppy is weared all over the country and there is a big ceremony in the capital. My father's mom lost a brother during the ww2, every year she wear the red poppy and observe 2 minutes of silence at 11 o'clock.

My aging father is still active in the American Legion activities commemorating deceased veterans and fallen warriors. My sister and I do what we can to support his efforts.

Usually we take flowers to the graves of family members, spending time at the cemetary remembering each of them.

I usually host a dinner for our small family on Memmorial day. Usually it's something simple prepared on the grill.

I will be working at the fire dept. We will fly our flag half staff, and at dusk when we lower it I will play "Amazing Grace" on my Bagpipes, Followed by the traditional Scottish lament "The Flowers of The Forest". A tune written to commemerate the battle of Flodden Feild in 1513, but played to Honor those who have Died in the name of freedom ever since.

These are great stories...let's keep them coming. I am especially fond of bnally's tradition most likely due to my Scottish heritage and connection to Arkansas. I enjoy the playing of Bagpipes and "the Flowers of The Forest" is very moving for those who know the background.

Regards,

Doug

It's a tough day to deal with. I don't require a day to remember. The last time I was down range, we came home a bit fewer than with what we started with. I just hope that their kids understand it all at some point.

My other hobby (not that one... the other one... no... that one...) is pyrotechnics. I'm licensed and on Memorial Day I meet with like minded people and we ignite the sky. This weekend about 300 of us will meet at a remote farm (legal permit) and shoot a private show. There will be flags, veterans, and lots of food. It is a celebration and a remembrance.

Here are some single effect shots to give you the idea. All made on site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwkg83yui0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k0o2C1FGhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmYj8MtaFWU

Last edited:
Remembering my father - WWII USAF vet. Remembering my uncle - WWII Navy vet. Both passed a way but still very near and dear to my heart.
Remembering an old neighbor and friend - Airborne and making over 100 jumps.
Thanking another uncle - Battle of the Bulge survivor. He impressed and left me gobsmacked when I needed to do an oral report in 7th grade. I had a tape recorder running and asked him "Where were your in WWII?" and for the next hour and half he just talked about his experiences, without having me ask anything else. It was the only time he ever talked about the war, and I understand why.

This Memorial Day will be a bit harder for my family and I. My Uncle was diagnosed with cancer August of last year and passed away on March 10th of this year. It hit the family pretty hard in general, and some of us more specifically. He was an Army veteran, and he also absolutely loved being on the lake at his houseboat. My Aunt is taking the houseboat out this weekend and anchoring it, and all the family is going out there to have a memorial service for him, and then we're going to spread his ashes in the lake. It's going to be very hard, but I know it's what he wanted.

I'll be doing what I've done since about 1994 or so and go to the local parade,snap to and remove my cover when the flag and the surviving vets pass, then proceed to the local war memorial for the main VFW memorial ceremony and the ceremony at the VFW hall if any local folk have been KIA in the past year and are having their names added to the marker near the hall.
Only missed twice since 94,back in 08 with a full on bout of pnuemonia and two years ago when the skies opened up and a wall of water literally followed the fire trucks down the parade route and the memorial service was cancelled.

I appreciate the sentiment but I came home under my own power. My only sacrifice was time.

Any man who choses to serve his country in the military is deserving of the thanks and respect of his fellow americans for his contribution. There is honor in a life of service to your community and country. Regardless of the reason for serving or field in which you choose to serve, be it Soldier, Teacher, Police, Fire, EMS, or other thankless work for meager pay. It all ultimately requires selflessness of a person and usually extracts a heavy toll on the servant.
So agian, Thank You
and when we retire the colors at dusk on Memorial day, I will sound my pipes in honor of those who have bled for us.

Top Bottom