What's new

how to get rid of white flakes/dry skin after shaving

Hi,

I'm a noob, and been DE shaving for 1-2 weeks.
The problem I have with DE shaving is that, I get this dry skin/white flakes on same spots all the time.

I use Proraso Pre-Shave cream with green tea extract and aloe, then Nivea shaving cream for Sensitive skin, then Nivea after shaving lotion for sensitive skin. Before I go to work, I put on some facial lotion too...

What can I use to avoid having dry spots or am I shaving wrong?

thanks

I suffered from this for years before I started wetshaving, and then it cleared up, to my delight.

Everyone is different, but I have a hunch that once you get your technique down it will clear up for you. Keep using that aftershave balm after every shave... and I would drop that shaving cream you are using for some Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Nothing that won't go away once you get better at finetuning pressure and angle.

+1

This "dry skin" is actually a skin "shaving" or "tag" primarily created by too aggressive an angle. I used to get this all the time in the beginning, then as my technique improved it went away only to return on days where I wasn't paying enough attention to angle (usually on the ATG pass).

Watch your angle and this should go away.

Avoid AS with alcohol and go for Thayers alcohol free products, followed by a balm and a light moisturizer.

That's my routine in the winter. In the sumer I tend to replace the AS splash with something with some alcohol.

Keep us posted.

I thought it had something to do with my a/s that's why i posted this here..
Nivea a/s is alcohol free, so I guess that can't be it..

I guess I will try to correct the way/angle I shave..
Youtube, here I come..

thanks guys..

I thought it had something to do with my a/s that's why i posted this here..
Nivea a/s is alcohol free, so I guess that can't be it..

I guess I will try to correct the way/angle I shave..
Youtube, here I come..

thanks guys..

I agree with the fella's who think it's an angle pressure issue. Also, one too many passes could be an issue too.

don't forget to report back :thumbup1:

What lotion are you using? I tend to flake a bit, but plain old Lubriderm keeps me looking clean. I've tried dozens of other moisturizers with no luck. Maybe your lotion isn't sticking with you?

It was suggested to me by this person who kinda got me started on DE shaving that I try this Vitamin E splash you can buy from a drug store.
I couldn't find them near where i live (maybe they just dont sell them in canada?- let me know if you know where to get 'em), but found Proraso A/S balm with Vit E in it. (for those of you in Toronto, you can get it from shoppers at Eaton centre.. checked out a few other shoppers, but they only seem to sell the shaving cream from proraso- eaton centre one also carries nivea a/s with vit e-on sale for $7-8 but i really wanted proraso $19- i already have a regular nivea a/s without vit e...)

I'm sure its partially the angle at which i shave, or i put too much pressure and i cut it too deep, but for now, my dry skin problem seemed to have gone away after one day use of this product.

If ur from canada and know where to get this pure vit e splash thingy, let me know where.. been told its pretty cheap...

Hi There,

Not that I'm an experienced De shaver (I've only been doing it for 6 months) but I had the same problem at the beginning. Your skin needs time to adjust to DE and try using a more natural based ASB and a shaving cream which is very rich in texture and gives you good consistency, like ADP or TOBS Avocado. Also daily moisturising is very important IMHO. Eventually your skin will get used to it and the flakes will go.

I hope it helped!

Good thread. What do you have to say for dry skin/flakes at the ends of mouth area, not the day after shave, not next day, but the day that hair will start grow back??

And nothing seems to help.

Top Bottom