What's new

How to best use alum

I searched a few other alum threads and couldn't find an answer to this. Over the past few months, I've watched numerous shaving videos for tips. Several of them from geofatboy (and maybe others, but I remember his for sure) say to use alum for "feedback" and to close weepers. Well, I get a lot of weepers, so I bought a small stick.

I'm totally sold on using it for weepers. I get those with practically every shave, and the alum stops the bleeding immediately, unless I get a bad nick. I no longer have to sit there with toilet paper or tissue on my face for 10 minutes. Yay!

As for the "feedback" - I've been applying it to my entire shave area, and it burns pretty much all over for a few seconds. So I guess I have a couple questions. (1) Is this normal, or does it mean I'm doing something terribly wrong with my shaving technique? And (2) should I be applying it to my whole face after each shave, or just the weepers? Even if the feedback is useful (see question 1), I'm not sure I need it after each shave, maybe just periodically to check if I'm doing any better.

Hi T-Bone. From my experience, for what it‘s worth:

1) What you describe sounds about normal for me although I’d only get that ‘burn’ that lasts a few seconds on my neck area usually. I’d notice it more when I was in the phase of adjusting to using more aggressive razors, which was very helpful as I got a better appreciation for the fact they were doing a more efficient job than my milder razors.

I can remember one of the first shaves I had with my Merkur Futur and it’s fair to say I’d done an extra pass when I didn’t need it. After I applied the alum to my neck I was finding the burn was more noticeable in the middle of my neck and for a few days afterwards the skin in that area looked irritated. No major damage but in terms of feedback it made me think twice before doing an extra pass on my neck for the sake of it again.

I’d say as long as you’re not finding you’re getting skin problems in between shaves your technique is probably not terribly wrong.

2) You can apply it to your whole face and neck after each shave or just use it for the weepers. I only use it for weepers now but every so often I’ll apply it as part of my post shave routine, just for variety.

Thanks, Dan!
1) What you describe sounds about normal for me although I’d only get that ‘burn’ that lasts a few seconds on my neck area usually. I’d notice it more when I was in the phase of adjusting to using more aggressive razors, which was very helpful as I got a better appreciation for the fact they were doing a more efficient job than my milder razors.

I can remember one of the first shaves I had with my Merkur Futur and it’s fair to say I’d done an extra pass when I didn’t need it. After I applied the alum to my neck I was finding the burn was more noticeable in the middle of my neck and for a few days afterwards the skin in that area looked irritated. No major damage but in terms of feedback it made me think twice before doing an extra pass on my neck for the sake of it again.
Hmm, sounds like I'm probably either using too much pressure, I need a better cream (I'm new to this and still using up old products), and/or maybe shaving an extra pass I don't need in places.

Also sounds like I really only need to use it for weepers, and on my whole face just occasionally if I need the feedback.

I use Alum block after every shave. It dries out my skin but it helps with irritations and in-growns; as long as I rinse off the alum after 30 sec and put on a balm afterwards, my skin feels fine.

As for your experience, you should aim towards a nick-free, least stinging with alum kind of shave. I find that if I overshave, the alum stings real bad and I squirm for a bit. Even after a BBS result, if I used the right technique, I will only feel a light sting with the alum.

You can apply the alum on those weepers or apply it on the entire face. It's your choice and no real right way to do it. Experiment with it and do what your skin likes the best

Thanks, Dan!

Hmm, sounds like I'm probably either using too much pressure, I need a better cream (I'm new to this and still using up old products), and/or maybe shaving an extra pass I don't need in places.

Also sounds like I really only need to use it for weepers, and on my whole face just occasionally if I need the feedback.
No problem. I think trying different things out with your pre and post shave routine is worth it in the end. I do think the skin gets more used to what you throw at it over time too, which will help.

Two things I found really helped me with areas where I used too much pressure, usually to try and get rid of stray whiskers I’d missed, were “buffing” the area or switching to a much lighter grip on the razor, which allows the weight of the razor to do the work.

Enjoy the journey!

Everyone has pretty much covered the landscape. If my technique is good (no pressure) and I don't over shave, running the alum block over my face produces little to no sting.

If however, I've been too aggressive in trying to eradicate whiskers (especially on my neck) or used too much pressure, I'll know it.

I haven't used an alum block, but I do use a styptic stick. I do things in a differnet order, shaving first, then showering. That takes care of most of the weepers, and the styptic stick closes up any that the shower doesn't stop. The thread is interesting, and I think I'll get one and give it a try.

Did you buy a styptic pencil or an alum block? They are two different things. I'm thinking an alum block will give you less stinging....could be wrong though.
Definitely an alum block, 55g, but it's on a plastic base like a little stick of deodorant. I wasn't sure how slick it would be so I wanted to be able to hold the base. I didn't want to be dropping it on the counter, I read it would ruin the finish of marble.

I use alum block everyday as part of my post shave routine and apply it all over the shaved areas of face (as well as using it as underarm deodorant and on finger tips to prevent razor slippage).

Most days I get very little feedback after a 3 pass shave.

If you're getting all over burn I'd suggest your technique requires a little more honing although some people's skin is less tolerant to alum.

I use my alum block as an under arm anti-perspirant. Seems to work ok. I guess it could also be used as a fake ice cube in a friend’s whisky for a joke. Haven’t tried it yet but I want to now.

I don’t use it on my face after shaving - I don’t like the stubborn dry residue it leaves behind. I prefer using a liquid aftershave balm, and the Nivea one is very good. It will also sting slightly if you have shaved over-aggressively, and will reveal the difference in the quality of your shave, but it will not reduce you to tears as alum might.

Last edited:
I use my alum block as an under arm anti-perspirant. Seems to work ok. I guess it could also be used as a fake ice cube in a friend’s whisky for a joke. Haven’t tried it yet but I want to now.

I don’t use it on my face after shaving - I don’t like the stubborn dry residue it leaves behind. I prefer using a liquid aftershave balm, and the Nivea one is very good. It will also sting slightly if you have shaved over-aggressively, and will reveal the difference in the quality of your shave, but it will not reduce you to tears as alum might.
That’s brilliant and also wicked! I accidentally licked my upper lip/moustache area after applying an Alum block once and it was a mistake I wouldn’t want to repeat. Probably a good trick to play on someone who has done you a bad turn though with what you’d said!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Alum is a Potassium salt that is used as a anti-septic and astringent. I used it a lot when I first started shaving to gauge my shave results and to seal the face of small abrasions. I'm a strong believer in you should rinse the Alum off after 30-60 seconds because it has done its job by then. If you leave the Alum on your face because it is a salt it will likely dry your skin a little.

I mostly use now is Dickinson's witch hazel as a gentle cleaning astringent with about 14% alcohol seem to work really well for my self. I also use the Witch hazel to dilute my strong scented aftershaves so it does 2 different shaving needs.
I apply the witch hazel and gently rub any soap residue off the face and then take a dry wash cloth to wipe the excess off.
A fellow should have a styptic pencil also for those nicks that are bleeding a lot more than small abrasions & weepers.

I rub an alum block on my face after shaving for the (antiseptic? and) astringent quality(ies). While I enjoy a bit of sting from the alum block, I also recognize that if I feel any sting, it's a sign of irritation. That means my technique was not perfect. A perfect shave (for me) should be a BBS without any irritation (i.e., a BBS without any sting from the alum).

Also, I will use my alum block to staunch any weeper or nicks. For cuts, I use a styptic pencil. (By my reckoning, a weeper is a tiny nick that bleeds a little bit; a nick is a little bigger/deeper wound than a weeper and will be a little more likely to bleed; a cut is an even deeper wound that bleeds even more. In terms of shaving wounds, I would say a weeper is like a 1-3 on a 10 point scale, a nick is about a 4-6, and a cut is about a 7-10.)

As for the "feedback" - I've been applying it to my entire shave area, and it burns pretty much all over for a few seconds. So I guess I have a couple questions. (1) Is this normal, or does it mean I'm doing something terribly wrong with my shaving technique? And (2) should I be applying it to my whole face after each shave, or just the weepers? Even if the feedback is useful (see question 1), I'm not sure I need it after each shave, maybe just periodically to check if I'm doing any better.
Try to find a combination in which you don't experience any stinging. I always apply it after my shaves, when I use milder razors, I generally barely notice the alumn sting. I apply it to my wet face after shaving, then rinse it off after about 15 second with cold water. I do apply a balm afterwards most of the time, so my skin can hydrate again.

The fact that you say you have weepers with almost every shave is what is more concerning I would say, that shouldn't be the case at all!

Ι have been using an alumn block daily since 1980 when I started DE shaving.
I use it as follows:
After shaving I rinse my face with cold water and leave it wet.
I rub the alumn block all over my face (on the whole area I shaved).
I NEVER wet the block, just my face.
I leave it on for 2 minutes and than rinse it off with cold water.
After that I apply my AS (always alcohol based)
I haven't had a nick in decades when shaving so I can't help with the rest of your question.

Try to find a combination in which you don't experience any stinging.
Gonna really try not to use any pressure at all today. Hopefully still get a close shave even if not BBS and see what the alum does then.

The fact that you say you have weepers with almost every shave is what is more concerning I would say, that shouldn't be the case at all!
It really drives me crazy, it's usually just the moustache and/or between the chin and lower lip (soul patch area?). Not even the neck, where I see a lot of people complain about sensitivity. But after WTG and XTG, the moustache and soul patch are still fuzzy, so I shave ATG - carefully, because I know this part gives me trouble - and inevitably there's a few pin pricks of blood.

Top Bottom