What's new

How much is too much?

While organizing and sorting stuff I have suddenly come to the realization that I have fifty soaps. I have a few repeats (various hasslinger and Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba). It is going to be quite a long time before I need to actually get more soap. Maybe I should see if there is a restraint for just soap I could probably sign for the rest of the decade or so.

I use uberlather, soap+cream. I find I still consider myself I cream guy overall. But I rather easily settled on my favorite cream without an urge to look further (l'Occitane Cade). But I have 9 soaps in rotation, among which I can't really name a favorite. And today I got a dozen or so samples of high end stuff, like MdC, Caties Bubbles,
a bunch of Razorocks, and more.

I've got years worth of both soaps & after shaves.

As long as you're not running out of room, might as well live it up if the budget is in good order.

I'm limited on space and funds, so I try to keep myself to a 7-day rotation. However, given unlimited storage and funds, I would say one of everything is the limit. When you have to start buying duplicates, then you can stop...

I have recently increased my rotation to 4 soaps and a cream. I can't imagine having 50 soaps. So, since the OP did ask for opinions, my personal opinion is you have too much soap.

I have a lot of soap as well, several years worth and many duplicates.

I find that I have too much of the soaps I don't like and I never have enough put aside of the ones that I really enjoy.

I only have one face to shave a day, so I don't need hundreds of soaps. There are some great soaps out there, so why waste time in the mediocre. If I don't love it, I give it away. I have a wife and two daughters that shave and if they don't want it I have several friends that will take it. I only have 6 or 7 soaps that I use regularly. I use MWF about every other day so the others are randomly spread from there.

I have been reading posts on B&B for over a year now and have seen people with a hobby and people with a sickness. Some people have more product than can be used in more than 5 lifetimes. I believe as long as you use them or they are special to you in some way, keep them. If not, get rid of them.

Of course that is my opinion. Everyone else can have their own. I hope I haven't offended anyone, that was not my intent.

When you have to start buying duplicates, then you can stop...

Sometimes stocking up is actually a good way of saving money. When Royal Shave put TOBS cream on sale for ten bucks a tub, no limit*, and I could redeem some of my frequent-buyer points, I stocked up, picking up four tubs of peppermint for just over $36, shipped.

* What's funny is, the TOBS sale was the last time they ever did a no-limit weekly deal. Ever since then, they have put a two-item limit into effect. I suspect I wasn't the only person to jump on the discount.

I only have one face to shave a day, so I don't need hundreds of soaps. There are some great soaps out there, so why waste time in the mediocre. If I don't love it, I give it away. I have a wife and two daughters that shave and if they don't want it I have several friends that will take it. I only have 6 or 7 soaps that I use regularly. I use MWF about every other day so the others are randomly spread from there.

I have been reading posts on B&B for over a year now and have seen people with a hobby and people with a sickness. Some people have more product than can be used in more than 5 lifetimes. I believe as long as you use them or they are special to you in some way, keep them. If not, get rid of them.

Of course that is my opinion. Everyone else can have their own. I hope I haven't offended anyone, that was not my intent.
My opinion exactly!

Top Bottom