What's new

How much better are razors at a higher price point?

I'm in absolute agreement. Whether it's motorcycles, firearms, guitars or razors, I've always found that after a certain price point, you're paying more for the logo and historical reputation than performance. But I also realize that some people can afford more than I can and I'm perfectly good with that. I'm not the jealous type. :biggrin1:

Plus you got bragging rights that you own the Bagatti of Razors.

Yesterday I was over in Scottsdale at the Penski Suto Mall,

It was their normal Cars n Coffee thing.

Being diplomatic there was in excess of 150 - 200 there, most bright their
, Lamborghinis, Ferrari’s and cream of crop of high priced auto.

Lets say many of the older gentleman with fine exotic autos showedup with much younger female passenger.

Money buys nice things.

Plus you got bragging rights that you own the Bagatti of Razors.

Yesterday I was over in Scottsdale at the Penski Suto Mall,

It was their normal Cars n Coffee thing.

Being diplomatic there was in excess of 150 - 200 there, most bright their
, Lamborghinis, Ferrari’s and cream of crop of high priced auto.

Lets say many of the older gentleman with fine exotic autos showedup with much younger female passenger.

Money buys nice things.
It does indeed. 😆

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am a bit unsure of myself here. I had two very well regarded Gillette classics replated, well, I had two Flat Bottom Techs and a NEW Raised Flat Bottom waiting for me when we got back from my first dental tourism trip to Bali.

While I was there, @Mr. Shavington suggested I might like the Blutt BR-1 1.20. The Blutt was also waiting for me when we returned home. The Blutt doesn’t fall into the bottom of the razor price range and it’s a bit difficult to acquire but I will say, I got the best shave of my life, and this was on maybe my 5th or 6th DE shave. I’d been mostly shaving with a Claymore Evolution AC razor for 7 months at that point.

I have old man coarse whiskers and probably thinning skin too. I just wanted a smooth, comfortable yet close shave and the Blutt gave me an almost effortless, relaxing shave right out of the box.

I’ve added a few razors that all provide those smooth 12 hour shaves. As my skill level improves, I might be able to do that with any razor, but for now, I’m quite content. So far, none of the razors I’m using seem to care which blade I choose. I’ve copied what other people like here and that has worked out nicely.

Not at all.
Many of my vintage bakelite are an easy match for the most expensive razors.
Same goes for vintages in my den like Famex or Le Coq cagehead.
And I don't think some of the Yaqis can be beat in closeness of the shave.
Bottom line again: not at all.

Last edited:
This is a fun thread with no truly objective right answer. Yes there is a law of diminishing returns, but how far or how much is the user willing to pay for that additional return? Keep in mind that the return may be function for some and style or aesthetics for others. Keeping to the watches described by @kingfisher , a $30 quartz Casio will likely keep more accurate time than a $15,000 or more Rolex. Does that make the Casio better? Not necessarily, it may keep better time but the Rolex may be a better value for the style and joy in owning it. An individual’s financial situation has to be considered.

As for razors, a number of my vintage Gillette razors are superb. For me no razor beats the style of my #164 Goodwill. But the razor I use almost every day (I’m a daily shaver) is a titanium Blackbird. No razor shaves me closer and with less effort.

Because a vintage Old Type, New LC or SC, Superspeed or Tech can be bought for between 5% and 30% of the price of the Ti Bird, it’s purchase might not appear warranted or prudent. If I was 22 and just out of school struggling to make ends meet, it would not be prudent. Because I am now retired and have met all of my past and anticipated future obligations, it was a prudent purchase because of the satisfaction I receive from using it.

There are many “right” answers to the question but there is no one right answer.

I suppose we all like a little fancy in some way. I bought some pretty fancy mechanical watches in my day. They now sit in a drawer as I wear an inexpensive plastic watch that measures my pulse, blood pressure, speed and distance walked, biked or swum, and who knows what else. It may not impress the young ladies, but my doctors sure thought it was a good idea. And once you're out and about wearing a cheap plastic watch, somehow, $800 shoes, $2,000 leather jackets, $400 pocket knives, and other luxury man toys, high quality though they may be, seem out of place.

I still like to sport a good shave, though. My stubble doesn't give me the Clint Eastwood look, I just look like I belong on a park bench with a paper cup accepting spare change from passers-by.

Many automotive ranges are no longer differentiated by their core design and engineering. Using Honda and Toyota sedans as examples, with the exception signature top of line up Acura and Lexus sedans, the cars are primarily differentiated these days via the interior finish (e.g. leather), electronics and safety features. The underlying chassis and drive trains are the same. When I purchased my current car, a Honda Accord, we looked at the mid-sized Acura and Lexus models only to see that we'd pay twice the retail for the same underlying car with added bells and whistles. In fact at that time the so-called upgrades actually reduced the quality of the car and driving experience. The 9 speed Acura transmission was extremely problematic with lots of failures versus the Accord CVT and the upgraded Accord and Acura electronics, versus the LX base model, had a really bad user interface design that extremely confusing.

At that time Toyota's were similar though the full size signature model, while 3-4 times the price of the base model Camry, did offer a more premium driving experience though not enough for us to justify the price premium.

We are back in the market and are looking at Toyotas and see the same thing as before. The base model Toyota Camry and mid-sized Lexus ES share the same drive train and similar chassis. Again why pay a 2/3'ds and above price and ongoing cost of ownership premium for what is in effect the same car with similar reliability. Surprisingly the latest version of the Lexus signature model was rated significantly below the current Camry and mid-size Lexus making it even harder to justify the price premium on a purely rational perspective.

Taking this back to the topic of razors where it comes down to geometry, blade position, manufacturing tolerance weight and finish texture one can realize a similar quality shave from a well designed razor regardless of price point. From a purely rational price/shave quality purchase decision process there is no need to spend a lot for a good shave. My moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle and mild King C. Gillette provide exactly the shaving experience and range I was looking for. No need for me to spend more.

That said there is also an emotional/personal preference part of any purchase where one may want a premium car or razor from a desire to own a luxury item or collectables perspective. Fully appreciate those who have a different set of razor purchase criteria. This is one of the great things about our hobby in that there are options that work well regardless of our personal preferences and priorities.
I'm thankful my wife and I don't have expensive tastes in most things including our vehicles. Give me simple and RELIABLE any day in cars, razors, etc, etc.

One man might be into Razor, another Watches. Friend collects Cigars, and will not smoke until they have 5 year of aging in his humidor. Guy recently droop almost $5.500.00 on a 10 Count Box of Old Rase cubanRare Cubans.

Man has the money, Cigars are hobby, lives in big home, drove nice cars, wife & kids share good life. Not a big deal.

If you desire is to shave with a High Dollar Brand of Razor or Blade go for it. I'm sure some guy is shaving with his grandfather old Gillette. Both parties are happy.

Fun question. I have higher end razors and they shave fantastically, and then I pick up my Fatip or Tech and get just as an excellent shave. The shiny shiny aspect and design of the high end ones is unique though - even the lady commented on that.

Cheers,

Guido

+1! Yes indeed!!

And ‘traditional’ wet shaving is by far the least expensive hobby I have ever had.
Working for self left little time for a hobby, but the one thing it did well when the money was good. Put a lot of bucks away for old age, and retrieve nt.

As I see it, there are a few priorities over spending money on expensive shaving gear. Pay your bills, look after the wife and the kids. Beyond that any spare money is fair game.

Personally I'm single so nobody has a claim on what money I spend once I've settled up my monthly expenses.

I own a Gillette Tech that doesn't get used and a Razorock Gamechanger that is gathering dust. I love my Timeless Ti and my Overlander. For now I'm learning my Blackbird and have almost cracked it. Would I like a Wolfman, sure but they're hard to come by here the UK. I see a Karve Christopher Bradley in my future, I'm not sure its any better than anything else I've got but the hobbyist in me wants to try these things just for the hell of it.

Top Bottom