What's new

How many blades are too many?

Hello all. This question is actually about how many BLADES. I wasn't able to edit the title, sorry.

Anyway, I have read about the shavepocalypse and don't want to be caught off guard when it happens.

I have about 120 tucks (600 I guess), but will that be enough?? Is it too many?

My wife kind of shook her head when she saw me putting them in a big plastic bag.

Last edited:
It all depends on how often you shave. Do the math on how many blades you use per month, and then calculate how long you expect to live and there you go. For me, I used 100 blades in about 2 years. So what you have now, would last me until approx 2030... not enough lol

It all depends on how often you shave. Do the math on how many blades you use per month, and then calculate how long you expect to live and there you go. For me, I used 100 blades in about 2 years. So what you have now, would last me until approx 2030... not enough lol
What he said...
The only thing I would caution is that with that many blades, you might find that your beard and skin changes before you make your way through all of them and you might find that blades you once loved no longer work for you - typically beards get thicker and skin thinner as we age. In my own case, for example, I used to love Astra SPs and Feathers, but have found them both a little rougher than I used to; IPs and Nacets work better for me now, whereas before they were middle of the road.

The first issue is that you favorites may go out of production! The cost may increase!! Taxes will certainly increase! There may be a trade war!! The internet may stop working!!

If none of those arguments work, then you can always PIF some. :a29:

LOL. Me neither. How do you store yours? And they last quite a while?

I order a 100 pack box (Astra SP's) when I'm down to my last 3 tucks. I only started DE shaving in July of 2015 and am only on my 2nd box currently, so I don't really have a 'storage' set up. But I just drilled a screw under the sink and use the lid of the box to hang it (it has a cutout):

$IMG_0667.jpg

Brother NesOne,

I don't think it's a good idea to store blades in the bathroom, because the moisture can deteriorate the sharpness of the edges. I store my blades in an adjacent bedroom, in a drawer that is 100% "bone dry."

@NesOne:

Interesting system. What are the hangers you are using for your brushes?

I bought those adhesive hooks from home depot/lowes and then I used pieces of velcro 1/2" thick to wrap around the brush handle. I cut out some pieces from a velcro reel from work. The only place I could find online to give you a reference is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Velcro-189755-25yds-Strap-Black/dp/B079YVCKWH

They are bit pricey for the reel (25 yards). If you have a computer and/or network department that you are close with, talk to the technicians, they might have one lying around. That's how I did it. The reel that we use (telecommunications) is 3/4" thick, so I needed the thinner one, and checked out our computer techs inventory and cut a piece lol

I take the brush with the velcro when I travel, so that I can hang it to dry on either the vanity mirror or towel rack too.

in reality, anything above a 100 pack is too many. But since we are obsessed, most will say a higher number. I shave every other day nowdays and use each blade 3 times before replacing. That means, I use about 5 blades per month (or about 60, annually). Nonetheless, I probably have over 900-950 DE blades (around 300 Polsilver SI, 200 Feathers, 100 Med Preps, 200 Atras SP and around 100 random blades.

Good points Herbert. I think it's smart what you've done. I'm going to add a couple hundred more, regardless of what my wife thinks. You never know.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I expect to get at least 10 shaves from most blades, occasionally use a hollow ground blade instead, and miss a few shaves per year too. So 100 blades will last me a few years, and I have over 400 to hand. I hope I'll need more before I croak, but I've got enough to see me through any temporary crises that may occur.

Even if DE blades got phased out altogether, it wouldn't be overnight, so we'd have fair warning to gather up a few extras. As @BigJ says, favourites going out of production is the biggest realistic hazard to consider for the forseeable future.

10 shaves per blade, that's good. I think I'm going to take my next blade the distance. How do you know when it's cashed? Tuggs rather than glides?

First, I am a lot older than most here. So-----I still have a lot of blades. At last count, I have 250 Personna Medical Prep blades, 150 Personna Lab blades, 50 Feather blades, 50 GSB, 100 assorted Lord blades, and about another 100 other blades.

For me, I change blades when they begin to tug or get rough. That depends on the razor and the blade. For some blades, such as the Labs, I can get up to 15 shaves. With other blades such as the Voskhods and Astra SPs I get three shaves.

By the way, I changed the title of your thread to blades.

10 shaves per blade, that's good. I think I'm going to take my next blade the distance. How do you know when it's cashed? Tuggs rather than glides?
Pretty much. I can pull 2, maybe 3 full head and face shaves off most blades - so figure 5-7 face shaves worth. Depends also on your own particular hair growth - some may get more, some less. Some guys on the Excalibur group think you can a 100 shaves out of a blade, but that seems crazy to me unless you're stropping it someway between shaves (which seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks a year).

Thanks Ackvil. Most importantly, I think we will outlast our current stash of blades and re-up with another good surplus for later. I have some Voskhods and also Astras like you mention. Now I'm curious about the persona labs...

And also, thanks for that bit of info sig303... crazy 100 shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

It depends how the edge deteriorates, whether it wears, deforms, or chips. It may end up not cutting properly, and dragging, or riding over stubble (knocking it out of the way instead of cutting it), or it might end up feeling harsh and raspy on your face.

I usually get 10-14 shaves per blade, shaving maybe 70% of my face, and have had two blades so far (since I started counting) go over 30 shaves - not with any special handling or treatment on my behalf, they just lasted that long before they were spent. I've also had a few blades not make it to ten. Each blade is different, and when I'm not happy with it, out it goes.

I’m probably sitting on 700 assorted DE blades, 250 SE blades and 150 injector blades. I also use straight razors a couple of times per week.

Based on an average rate of 5 shaves per DE, 5 shaves per SE and at least 10 per injector, I’m good for at least 25 years after factoring in my straight razor shaves.

Crazy!:a13:

Top Bottom