What's new

How long does it take your badgers to dry?

I started off with a cheap boar brush, then bought a cheap badger brush. I like the badger much better than the boar. I like it enough that I don't feel the need for something better & more expensive, but it seems to take a long time to dry. I don't usually shave every day, so it's usually not a problem Yesterday, I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just did a single pass WTG shave. Today, I noticed some areas that are very poorly shaved. So I want to shave again today. It's been about 18 hrs since my shave, and my brush still isn't completely dry. Luckily, I just bought another brush, so I'll put it to it's first use. Is this normal? Does it usually take 24+ hrs for a badger to dry?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
If I use a badger brush for a morning shave, it would usually be dry by the next morning (24hrs) is my experience. I shake it well and give it a towel dry, hang it upside down, not a necessary step, but I have a stand for such a purpose and its just my routine. I’ve never checked to see if it takes less time, but it is dry with 24hrs for me.

How long does it take your badgers to dry?
Average relative humidity in my den 45%
Ambient relative humidity at the time of measurement 40%
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 (dense knot)
Relative humidity inside the knot 59% measured 32hrs after use.

I considered mine not "dry". I have several brushes in the rotation that ensures at least three days cycle.
After every shave, the brush gets a gentle squeeze and several (axial) flings until no droplets come out of the knot. Gently scrub the tips on a dry towel between flings. Rest on holder/stand.

Commodore X2 at 32hrs after shave.jpg

There. Now you know.

Last edited:
I have two Badger brushes that I rotate. I gently squeeze, fling water out a couple of times, then strop on a dry towel and hang them from a stand. They are dry overnight - I'm in a dry desert climate - but I let them rest for another night before I use them again.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It depends on the size and density of the brush as well as the weather, like many I have a few brushes in rotation so it does not concern me. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with using the same brush every day and it never fully drying between uses; generations of men did exactly that.

It can take a long time for a big brush like a Chubby 2 to dry. The tips may feel dry but the base of the knot will be wet for a long time. I think @EclipseRedRing is right. If you use a brush everyday it doesn’t matter if it fully dries. In my opinion the worst situation is a two or three brush rotation. These brushes stay wettest the longest without the benefit of a daily wash.

My badger brushes take a few minutes to dry. I give them a quick blast with a blow drier after shaking them out. It’s probably overkill but it only takes a few seconds. If it’s safe enough for the hair on your head I’m sure it’s fine for a brush. Just go easy with it. Point blank at full heat is probably a bad idea.

I have a large rotation. After a very thorough rinsing and a gentle towel dry, my brushes sit about three feet from a desk fan set on a low setting for 12 hours. After that, they sit on the shelf in the open air for three days. Most of my brushes are rather dense and I do not want to take any chances.

Roughly a day, I'd say. It's better not to store them in a humid environment like a bathroom, though. Better off stored on a shelf where the air can circulate.

It can take a long time for a big brush like a Chubby 2 to dry. The tips may feel dry but the base of the knot will be wet for a long time. I think @EclipseRedRing is right. If you use a brush everyday it doesn’t matter if it fully dries. In my opinion the worst situation is a two or three brush rotation. These brushes stay wettest the longest without the benefit of a daily wash.

My badger brushes take a few minutes to dry. I give them a quick blast with a blow drier after shaking them out. It’s probably overkill but it only takes a few seconds. If it’s safe enough for the hair on your head I’m sure it’s fine for a brush. Just go easy with it. Point blank at full heat is probably a bad idea.
I've 2 badgers , big SV and smaller simpsons in super.
Past year I've use a gentle hair dryer. They come up beautifully soft . Highly recommended.

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, I kept checking my brush to see if it was dry. At about the 24 hr mark, it finally felt dry. Of course, that's on the tips. I don't doubt that the knot was still wet. I know that many generations of men used a brush every day, but I don't really want my brushes growing mold and/or mildew. I have two brushes now. I'll rotate them. If I'm still not happy with how dry the brushes get before use, I'll add another brush.

I shake my brushes well and then dry them with a towel, trying to reach into the base of the knot as much as possible.

The tips are dry after a few hours. The base of the knot, on the other side, takes 2-3 days, sometimes even 4 depending on the knot size, loft, density and RH and ambient temperature.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
All depends on the size of the knot, it's density and the environment. Some dry fast, some take more time, it is that easy.

The problem was that I wasn't shaking out the brush vigorously enough. I usually just shake it a bit in the sink. This last time, I shook it out vigorously in the shower. That was last night. This morning, it's as dry as it usually is at 24 hrs.

I don't use my brushes on consecutive days. That's the law of the land, for me. Because i have a bunch of brushes i rotate through them so each one spends a couple days drying out. I will not use the same brush on consecutive days but i would have no trouble at all using it after giving it a full 32-ish hours to dry out.

All the reason why you should consider several brushes. Ideal would be, wait let me count my fingers and my toes…. 🤔🤣🪒

With rotation, last brush would be dry by the time I need to use it again.

All the reason why you should consider several brushes. Ideal would be, wait let me count my fingers and my toes…. 🤔🤣🪒

With rotation, last brush would be dry by the time I need to use it again.
I have three brushes. One boar and two badgers. One badger was a recent acquisition, and so far, I'm not impressed. It doesn't hold NEAR as much water as my other badger. I just don't like the boar. I'll give the new badger some more use. Maybe it will improve. If not, I'll be trying some other badgers.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I never worry about it. I've never seen a badger that had any kind of build-up of fungus, etc. due to being used before it dried completely.
No one here has ever shown a pic of a knot overtaken by fungus (to my knowledge)
To me, worrying about your badger being completely dry before use is a solution in search of a problem.

Top Bottom