What's new

How long do Zamak razors really last?

Taking into account my parents longevity, with a bit of luck I could be shaving for another 3 decades, though some days I have serious doubts about that :blush:.

As much as I like my ATT H2, nothing compares to the 2011 R41 so I'm putting away spares for the future.

Apart from obvious breakages, it seems that plating loss spells the death knell for Zamak razors and I'm guessing that the threaded stem is the part most likely to fail, especially from the constant abrasion from screwing the handle on and off. I wonder if a stainless handle might aggravate that risk.

Has anyone real world experience of "life expectancy" of the modern Zamak razor?

Last edited:
I bought my first Merkur in 1980 and mistreated it by storing it in an attic during three winters in Finland. It lasted three years after that before it 'rottened' from inside.

The second Merkur lasted five years and it was not mistreated in any way. It also spontaneously disintegrated after losing the plating on three spots.

Onotoman had a post some time ago about the theoretical life expectancy of a Zamak object. I believe it was longer than five years, but I don't really care since I will never buy a Zamak razor any more.

Zamak and "last" should never be used in the same sentence! The real question is "how long before a razor made of zamak fails?" Really though, it seems most failures are in threaded areas on three piece razors and it seems that folks are just over tightening the razor when they put the blade in it. I have a vintage Merkur with a pot metal cap and it works fine. The razor was made in the 50's. Just be mindful that the pot metal is softer than the brass used in vintage Gillettes.

I would think casting the heads out of brass can't be that hard compared to Zamak. While I really like my EJ DE89 I am thinking about a Weber. I wish someone made the same head (EJ/Muhle) in something besides zinc pot metal.

My Merkur Progress is now 7 years old and still in good shape with no indication of impending failure. I do not know the composition of the head on the razor but always suspected the cap to be brass and the base to be Zamak. I think the male threads on the cap are plated brass. Is this not true? The Progress is still one of my favorite razors, but since I got my Weber PH Bulldog, everything else has gotten less trigger time. One thing about the Progress is that with a properly aligned index ring, you won't over tighten but just dial it down to 1 and then back off to your desired setting.

I have a Shave Craft 101 a Parker 65R and an Symmetry OC. All are three piece razors. When I change blades I put a drop of 3 in one oil on the threads. Something else you could try is a small piece of Teflon tape. Should help the head screw on easier.

There was another forum member posting about his issues with his hold plated merkur earlier today. Fought to know how long they will last given all the variables. It is too bad that manuf. Have gotten away from brass, but it could be a planned obsolescence strategy.

My Merkur Progress is now 7 years old and still in good shape with no indication of impending failure. I do not know the composition of the head on the razor but always suspected the cap to be brass and the base to be Zamak. I think the male threads on the cap are plated brass.

That's interesting Mike.

I would think casting the heads out of brass can't be that hard compared to Zamak. While I really like my EJ DE89 I am thinking about a Weber. I wish someone made the same head (EJ/Muhle) in something besides zinc pot metal.

I agree, but, no doubt these companies want to make the product as cheaply as possible while maximizing their return.

I will add that I drilled the female threads out in the handle and inserted a delrin insert and threaded it. Black delrin has graphit mixed in it and acts as a lubricant=less wear and stress.

Iagree, but, no doubt these companies want to make the product as cheaply as possible while maximizing their return.

Yes, but Zamack existed in the 50s too and Gillette chose brass. Maximizing profit has always been the goal, but in days gone by companies also cared about manufacturing a quality product.

Something has has been lost in the past 30-40 years.

Stick with vintage razors. They have lasted decades and will last more.

Last edited:
Yup they greedily want to make the item last as short as possible in the hopes that you will constantly replace them. Its called planned obsolecense. I really dont trust stainless steel either because of rust and its just not as proven as brass.

My first safety razor was a Merkur 1904. It lasted only 6 months. It fell into the sink and the thread post came off the top plate (got stuck inside the handle). Very poorly made. There actually used to be a focus on quality. The GEM Micromatic used to be advertised as "guaranteed unbreakable". Most robust razor I own easily (brass).

Top Bottom