What's new

How did you get started & what starter's kit would you now recommend?

Still, I wouldn't trade my mistakes, false starts, and dead ends for anything.

As I am sure most members here would agree, this statement alone is a fantastic truth. Working with a subpar product can really make you learn perfect technique. Additionally, there is no way you can appreciate the greatness of a product until you've experienced how bad some of the alternatives really are.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hmmmm. Come to think of it, everything I eat cooked by someone other than my wife does seem to taste spectacular. :lol:

We have an ongoing joke around hear. Whenever we have people over, I quip that there's a door prize for the guests. First prize is one of my wife's homemade pies. Second prize is two pies.

ouch said:
Hmmmm. Come to think of it, everything I eat cooked by someone other than my wife does seem to taste spectacular. :lol:

We have an ongoing joke around hear. Whenever we have people over, I quip that there's a door prize for the guests. First prize is one of my wife's homemade pies. Second prize is two pies.
O,
You sound like Soupy Sales, the 1960's TV comedian who catered to at least two levels of humor simultaneously. One of the lines that earned him a brief suspension by the FCC was, "My wife can't make banana cream pie, but she can sure make my banana cream!"
There was a pause, then dead air...
His next gaff almost earned him a jail sentence.. It was a rather funny appeal to the kiddies that watched his predinner show on New Years Eve 1964 or 65... "...and when mommy and daddy come home from the party they are going to be all tired out, so when they are sleeping you go into daddy's wallet and mommy's purse and send Uncle Soupy all of those nice green things with pictures of the presidents on them..."
Well he received several hundred thousand dollars, most of which were in envelopes without return addresses.. Aside from becoming the hero of every college frater in NY, he earned a two year suspension, etc, etc... WHAT A MAN!:lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Soupy Sales story was decidedly not apocryphal, but I believe the final amount received was, in fact, less than $20. Still, it was enough to can his ***.

Remember when he opened the door to a naked lady? Another classic.

ouch said:
The Soupy Sales story was decidedly not apocryphal, but I believe the final amount received was, in fact, less than $20. Still, it was enough to can his ***.

Remember when he opened the door to a naked lady? Another classic.
Hell, my dormitory sent him more than that and we weren't even greeks... White fang and black tooth! What a show, what a show! Ri-oh-do?:lol:

My goodness, how did I start? Well, when I was a 14 year old kid, I already had a plenty profuse beard, and dad bought me a cheap boar hair brush with a Schick injector razor (I think) and a tube of Noxzema shaving cream (did I love that!) and got me on my wetshaving way! :001_rolle Man, have times changed, but, I still shave with a brush and the best razors , soaps, and creams! :wink: :cool:

Jeff

i have told this story before......

I was raised in a barber shop for four of my teenage years. There I saw a few men shaved, but I had the expertise of three barbers to tell me about grooming. I started out on a DE and then got away from my teachings and wound up like most of us with a M3 and can foam...

I was suffering from ingrown hairs bad and had started thinkong about what to do, when c greenberg came on the Today show and showed me what I forgot from my youth.

I started out with:

Merkur HD
Merkur blades
Taylor Lavender cream
Trumper's Rose cream
Trumper's skin food
Vulfix 2234 or 2235 ( i forget all the time)

a newbie kit...I would suggest the same thing again, with the exception of the brush and if the person could spend the money, I would have them buy a 22-26mm shavemac brush. My second choice would be a QED Savile Silvertip in the same size.

Then to tell a newbie what to buy after that, would be a chore...when SCAD kicks in....Proraso Green, Taylor's Shave Shop, Nancy boy, willi g, Slaters, QED, Truefitt...etc....etc.etc...etc..

mark the shoeshine boy

Top Bottom