What's new

How come no one makes razors like those vintage Gillette TTO anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If wet shaving with DE blades wii become once again the most preferred
way to shave by most men worldwide ,
then you might expect a dynamic
comeback of quality made TTOs .

Which BTW if they are made from
modern materials like the noblest of stainless steel grades or titanium grades ,by modern methods like
3D printing or CNC machining and use
modern solutions for moving parts ,
like ceramic or stainless micro bearings
and generally speaking taking any
advantage modern times has to offer ,
be sure that they would look that
they are built like a tank ,while the
vintage Gillette TTOs would like
what they actually are : pieces of history .Remnants of long gone by
times .For their period were superb.
They do remain superb up till our times,simply because there is no competition .

Follow the money path .
Is there such a path today ,for
TTOs ?

Then why bother design and build
a really complex and hi-tech shaving
tool ,which it’s main difference versus
the “take the cap off” designs is
added security ,speed and convenience
regarding blade loading and unloading ?
Not a good investment.
The rather small percentage of men left wet shaving,
using DE blades that could possibly
afford such a kit ,can not support
an ongoing production and evolution .

Larger numbers that shave with
DE blades in parts out of the
so-called western world ,most
possibly would need to save funds for
a handful of years or even more to
possibly afford buying the thing .

Todays 3-piece and adjustable DE
razors are far heavier and robust that
their vintage counterparts ,with only few exceptions to this .

Last edited:
Nope. Look at Parker's website. Only the handles are made of brass.

Yes for their 3 piece razors....

From website on TTO razors Construction: Genuine all brass frame, chrome plated.
also look at post #55 X-ray results

I have a Slim, but I'm not sure what the entire construction is. I know the doors aren't brass and might be aluminum or Zamac. I know that Gillette did use Zamac in many of its later razor heads, like my Ball Tech. I would imagine Rockwell's Model T is very similar in construction (brass, SS, and chromed Zamac).

TBH, I don't think that Gillette actually intended for their razors to last this long, and many of the older ones that we have probably didn't get tons of use. Everything eventually wears out, but I imagine in 100 years many of the razors we have now will be selling in antique shops and people will be wondering why such well-made and durable razors aren't still being made. It reminds me of the housing when I grew up in the 80s and people thought they were cheaply made and now I'm hearing how great they are.:001_rolle

As others have said, it would be cost prohibitive to make a high quality modern TTO; the market is too small. Besides, even if one was available for the price of a vintage piece in good condition, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing one (my newest razor is a 1974 or so (have one NDC Black Beauty)--to me, posted pictures of individual or collections of modern razors are the razor equivalents of a craft brew pub or Starbuck's menu; only prompting me to ask, "which one tastes like Budweiser, do you have any black coffee, or which one shaves like a Gillette New Improved?" Comparing new razors is like being given the chance to choose which rental car on the lot you'd like to drive for the week only to realize they only have are six silver Camrys, a white Chevy Sonic and a non-descript dark blue Dodge Minivan to choose from. Gotta go yell at some kids to get off my lawn...

As others have said, it would be cost prohibitive to make a high quality modern TTO; the market is too small. Besides, even if one was available for the price of a vintage piece in good condition....

I honestly couldn't see a modern version being able to compete with the current robust vintage market that they would be trying to imitate. Looking at auctions you can easily find vintage TTO Gillettes for under $30US and often under $20US and we always see people posting amazing finds from local thrift shops etc. There is a rare high-priced gem like a NIB or Mint Fatboy etc but most are very inexpensive and still work like new.

now i wouldnt say that exactly as you still have to twist the handle to undo the head so in a way they are still twist to open razors . :em3400:

I also don't think the OP meant only TTO, since he just uses them as an example but it's a bit ambiguous. I think he just meant any razors with that type of build quality, and in that case, there are dozens if not hundreds, of those types of modern razors around.

Hopefully, the OP will post a clarification soon.

Handle isn't in the description at all..... "Frame" and as the results of many (x-rays, direct emails to Parker etc) show otherwise. So without cutting up my 87R...... Unless you have other proof we are at a respectable impasse.

What is your problem?
It says clearly on their website (you only have to read):
  • Handle material: Genuine brass frame, gunmetal chrome plated
It says "Handle material"! So, it is only the handle.
The Indian parker razors are the same junk as Chinese ones. Otherwise they would have to charge around 100$ per razor.

What is your problem?
The Indian parker razors are the same junk as Chinese ones. Otherwise they would have to charge around 100$ per razor.
and the 87r Construction: Genuine all brass frame, chrome plated
have you seen the x ray results?
We should just move from this as we can agree to disagree, neither of us are adding to this thread now.

Last edited:
What is your problem?

Is an all brass razor that expensive? Fatip is all brass and certainly isn't even close to $100 so I don't think it's hard to imagine the Parker is all brass and not that expensive.

and the 87r Construction: Genuine all brass frame, chrome plated
have you seen the x ray results?
We should just move from this as we can agree to disagree, neither of us are adding to this thread now.

Curious now, are the Xrays posted? I believe Fendrihan uses Parker for it's butterfly razors as well and it mentions brass frame, not just handle so It's quite possible it's all brass, or that the doors aren't included in the frame and they are aluminum or Zamac. It's pretty vague wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom