What's new

Honing a shavette

Hey guys, just wanted to check if this is a common practice but I saw in a video on YouTube of a guy talking that he jones his shavette blades to reuse them. What do you guys think about this? I think he used a longer blade like a personna blade. I know you can buy them and that most likely it’s not worth rehoning a disposable blade but I just thought it was interesting. What do you guys think?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've heard of people stropping their blades, but I don’t think I've heard of honing them. But then again there's loads of things I've never heard of.

Hey guys, just wanted to check if this is a common practice but I saw in a video on YouTube of a guy talking that he jones his shavette blades to reuse them. What do you guys think about this? I think he used a longer blade like a personna blade. I know you can buy them and that most likely it’s not worth rehoning a disposable blade but I just thought it was interesting. What do you guys think?
I have no idea what a shevette blade is, but stropping not honing a disposable blade is very effective. An unused disposable blade always feels better after I strop it a handful of times on almost anything, especially a single-edge Gem blade. Even the palm of your hand works well. I have a piece of pliable vinyl sitting on top of my shave soap cup that works well. I sometimes use a gem single-edged blade 20 times before I dispose of it. I will strop a gem blade before I use it every time. Nothing crazy just 6 or 7 strops, maybe 10.
I'm not sure if you know that back in the early 1900s, Gillette invented a double-edged blade that was semi-disposable. They used to hone and strop them. Those blades were heavy-duty and thick with a nice sharp edge and would last for a good amount of time. I have new ones unopened in my collection.
Not all men were mechanically inclined and the time element was considered and thus the disposable blade was invented.
Personally, I don't think the disposable blades of today are thick enough to hone, but stroping is well worth it.

I have no idea what a shevette blade is, but stropping not honing a disposable blade is very effective. An unused disposable blade always feels better after I strop it a handful of times on almost anything, especially a single-edge Gem blade. Even the palm of your hand works well. I have a piece of pliable vinyl sitting on top of my shave soap cup that works well. I sometimes use a gem single-edged blade 20 times before I dispose of it. I will strop a gem blade before I use it every time. Nothing crazy just 6 or 7 strops, maybe 10.
I'm not sure if you know that back in the early 1900s, Gillette invented a double-edged blade that was semi-disposable. They used to hone and strop them. Those blades were heavy-duty and thick with a nice sharp edge and would last for a good amount of time. I have new ones unopened in my collection.
Not all men were mechanically inclined and the time element was considered and thus the disposable blade was invented.
Personally, I don't think the disposable blades of today are thick enough to hone, but stroping is well worth it.
Thank you very much I hadn’t thought about stropping my disposable blades but I will do so from now… do you strip them even if they are fresh and unopened?

Top Bottom