What's new

Hone for Tosuke??

Hello everyone...I am getting a new Tosuke razor soon and am not familiar how to hone this type of razor...do they require any special type of stone and what is the proper technique for honing? Thanks!

The recommended hone for a tosuke is a 12K. The recommended honing technique is to use back and forth or washboard honing as it called doing three strokes on the concave side to two strokes on the convex side. The secret to Tosuke honing is that when you hone you have to use pressure and that secret or skill is knowing how much pressure to use. You just have to experiment. Done correctly they hone up pretty quickly.

You don't say what your shaving experience is. You realize they have asymmetric blades and they are designed to shave with the concave side towards your face at all times. That can be quite challenging. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am aware of the shape of the blade....

Have you heard any positive results from using a pasted strop (3, 1, .5, .25)?

I don't see why you can't use a pasted strop but your on your own there. For the iwasaki pasted strops are best but it has much harder steel than the Tosuke. Just go easy and test often and you'll be OK. I would probably use the .5 and either .25 or CrO instead of the .25 diamond. Just keep the proper side ratio.

Top Bottom