What's new

Homemade hot sauce/ pepper sauce

Anyone ever ferment peppers and make their own hot sauce? I’ve been wanting to try it, but have no idea where to begin.

Just curious if any of you have any experience.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I do a simple stove top method. Simmer hot peppers of choice with small amount of onion and garlic in a brine of apple cider vinegar, water and sugar to balance. I use habaneros and Thai chili peppers regularly. I strain and purée, adding back the brine to desired consistency. I put in mason jars and use it up quickly, but it lasts quite a while in the fridge. Super flavourful, spicy and balanced.
BB69F263-8791-4B6D-8D6C-10716DAD6116.jpeg

Well I make Salsa from time to time, it is not rocket science.

Jalapeño, Onion, Tomatoes, or Tomotillos, little salt, pepper, cumin.

Use an old Black & Decker Mini Blender.

When I do Brats on Hot Dog Buns. My relish is Southwest Mustard, Jalapinos, and Red Onion. Again I do in blender.

Becomes Hot n Sweet roping you.

Be brave and experiment.

I made some fermented hot sauce last year and having made both fermented and non-fermented hot sauce there is no comparison. Fermented is much better flavor. Besides you get the benefits from probiotics as well with the fermented. I made it from a blend of Ghost Pepper and regular bell pepper to tone it down a tad. It was still brutal.

Hot Sauce Milk GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Fermented is better, straight up.

At the moment I'm the only one eating hot sauce, and I'm not eating a lot. We have also made lots of "pique" over the years. Super simple. Take fresh hot peppers -- a mix of your favourites -- and stuff them in a jar. Add some peeled garlic and cider vinegar that has a bit of added salt and sugar, and then just let it sit. Good on eggs, stirfries, etc.

Some people add more vinegar when they run low. When I make chilaquiles I pull a nice pickled jalapeno out of the jar and dice it up.

O.H.

The key to fermenting is to have enough salt to prevent the bad bacteria to grow. Use non-iodized salt and make sure the water, if you use any, is not chlorinated. The good bacteria will generate lactic acid which will make it tart. The longer you ferment the tarter it will get. If it is not enough you can do like @Old Hippie suggested above and add some vinegar so your liking. I would just do that after fermentation so you can judge it better. there are plenty of instruction videos and such out on the tube regarding all this.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I make some when I feel like it.

I currently like Hell Fire sauce (Jamaican style). That one is fairly easy, Habanero or scotch bonnet peppers, a tablespoon or so of canning salt, between 5-10 garlic. Cover everything with white vinegar. Blender until it's chunky (not soup). And that's it. I keep it in the refrigerator in a mason jar. I usually finish my jar in a month and they are still ok because of the vinegar.

There are 3 types of sauces that you can make. Raw, cooked, or fermented (at least, that's the 3 ways that I know).

I prefer fermented. I normally put what I want and the peppers that I can find (in my garden or at the grocery). I usually use bird's eye chilis. I add things like garlic and onions. Sometimes fresh ginger, etc. I add distilled water and calculate 2% salt for the total of my volume (ferment + water). I need to make sure that everything is covered with water at all times (to avoid mold). I leave it in a dark, shady corner for 3 weeks and check it daily. If the water evaporates, I add more distilled water. I keep a bowl under the jar in case it overflows. After 3 weeks, blender (this time, like soup). I transfer everything in a cleaned bottle and that's it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sure did. Check it out!

AA

I love hot peppers in my saurkraut, but I haven't liked any of my three fermented pepper hot sauce attempts. I don't remember my recipes, but I do remember having to use more spicy peppers each time. A lot of the heat disappeared in the fermentation.

I like fresh or cooked habanero-based sauces a lot more than any fermented I've tried.

Top Bottom