What's new

Holy Grail Completed (vanity post)

Hey Mike do you want to trade storage containers? :lol:

$IMG_0356.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Well...I do have my Great Great Grandfather's W&B but it is pretty much a sentimental relic although restored years ago...not a favorite shaver of mine. There is a smattering of blades coming to me from Europe but all but one of those will be disposed of. I am happier with a minimalist setup. So...when the 15 razors come in, I will assess the condition of another Heljestrand in Genuine Tortoise and most likely will keep it as well. My next vision is to decide on a Western Style Japanese like the Hiyashi Diamond, FON, King Pelican, something of that nature. Ultimately no more than a "7" day rotation of any sort. i would like to procure a very historic pair along the lines of a Rogers Wedge Set presented in a nice case.

Your definition of minimalist cracks me up.

I've been trying to get my hands on a MK 32 or higher. I have a handful of smaller CVH's including a really cool little frameback in 5/8". Either I just miss a deal on one or prices on the bay skyrocket. One of these days. I'm excited to hone up my 15/16" Greaves today. I guess that will OK for now.

the BEST shave and best satisfaction comes to me via the Heljestrand MK31. Bonus to the max with their condition and appearance
Extremely fine specimens! Congrats to finding your personal Grail!

You have an interesting point in the comment on 5/8 size being optimal for the Heljestrand razors. The variety in size and shape of the non-MK serieses found in the wild in Sweden is much larger than the variety in the MK (export) series, but they are about 5/8 all of them.

However at least the 2 and 24 series show a wide variety of grinds, some even nearer a wedge than a quarter hollow. The non numbered Heljestrand razors can be just any grind!

From what I have heard from old smiths working in the production facility Magnus Kindal (top salesman based in Paris) and later his daughter only wanted a few kind of razors to go his way. They wanted to focus on nice scales and presentation boxes. This is of course understandable from a marketing point of view even if the makers of the blades didn't like it, which they didn't according to my source! They wanted to show off all their blades well knowing the quality of the steel and the performance of the blades.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Lovely. When you see real tortoise, it is so different to the horn faux-tortoise. I only have one example, but I would love more.

Dang thats gorgeous. Love the rich amber, honey in them scales. Bonus to the MAX.

In Christ
SB

Last edited:
Top Bottom