What's new

Holy cow, what a mechanical pencil!

Let me start by saying this rOtring rapid PRO 2.0 pencil is easily worth twice what I paid for it! This is my new favorite mechanical pencil and cannot imagine another could dethrone it.

Here is the pencil -

20210304_161637.jpg

20210304_161658.jpg

20210304_161851.jpg

20210304_161858.jpg

20210304_161907.jpg

Right out of the box what you immediately notice about this pencil is its beautiful styling and heft. With its solid metal body and knurled finger grip area this pencil does not have a feel of cheapness by any stretch of the imagination.

What some people mentioned as a potential negative, it being a little top heavy at the clip end, I see as a positive as it sits and feels more secure in the hand. Though I must confess to being a south paw so I don't know if that would make a difference.

You click the pen to extend the lead outward at the tip as opposed to my Staedtler Mars technico that clutches the lead and (literally) ejects it out the front of the pencil when you depress the clicker.

Have not tried the built in lead sharpener but I suspect it is as well designed and functional as the rest of the German-engineered beastie.

Finally, here are some examples of how it writes -

20210304_174207.jpg

The pencil came with an HB lead in place. Definitely is too soft for my tastes and dulled rather quickly with very little use. It was harder for me to tell the difference between the H and 2H but they were definitely thinner lines and the lead did not dull as quickly, as expected. I was surprised that the 2H was a little darker than the H but it may be that I was pressing a little harder? Not sure. The 3H was definitely too light for my tastes.

I will likely stick with the H or 2H for use in this pencil. All in all, I am extremely pleased with my choice.

Tim

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It looks nice. I'd have to hold one first. Not sure I'd get on with it though and nothing about it's quality, which I'm sure is great.

For me the wooden case pencil is the epitome of size and design for a pencil. Since 1990 (I think there was an international law about this) it seems all mechanical pencils and pens must be at least 1/2 inch in diameter and covered with padding. If I had arthritis or similar maybe I could appreciate that. The other thing I don't like is I like a natural taper as one gets from sharpening a wooden pencil. I don't hold my pencil or pens high, so on those with big steps down where you'd have the taper, don't feel right to me.

I have two 2mm lead holders, a Staedtler and a Turquoise and I like them because they are the same relative size as a pencil.

I bought a couple rOtring 600 pencils awhile back on a 2 for $32 sale. I was hesitant since that was steep for a pencil in my opinion, but they were so highly rated. I'm so glad I did. Best pencils I've ever owned. Would buy them again in a heartbeat.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice mechanical pencil. Thanks for sharing it with us. Oh so tempting.

great choice. I own about 10 different rotrings now and love them all, each has some unique things to offer.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Looks great. And great review. I have the matching pen and agree on the overall quality of it. And nice heft and grip. What is the built up n sharpener?

Looks great. And great review. I have the matching pen and agree on the overall quality of it. And nice heft and grip. What is the built up n sharpener?

Rhody, not sure I understand your question about a sharpener.

Tim

Rhody, not sure I understand your question about a sharpener.

Tim

he must be asking about the performance of the built in sharpener, which is inside the mini cap. In my opinion those built in sharpeners are a waste of time and what you really need is a dedicated one like this (exactly what I use) :

AFLP315.jpeg

he must be asking about the performance of the built in sharpener, which is inside the mini cap. In my opinion those built in sharpeners are a waste of time and what you really need is a dedicated one like this (exactly what I use) :

View attachment 1239877

Ah, OK, now I understand. I actually have not tried the internal sharpener on the rOtring Rapid Pro 2.0 mechanical pencil. What I have used thus far is a vintage Boston No. 1401 lead pointer. I still need to "dial it in" its use though.

My first attempt at sharpening the tip of the lead gave me a point that tapered back over too long a length of the pencil lead (if that makes sense). Next time around I will have a shorter length of lead extend down into the sharpener before I start rotating the top.

Tim

Top Bottom