What's new

Hog and Badger Combinations

Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Boar and Bristle is an excellent low price brush with a very nice handle imo.

Google some reviews and you'll find that plenty agree.
I have a Grosvenor mixed knot, and my personal opinion is that the handle is better than the knot. Its nice and sturdy and fits the hand great, but I feel the knot is a little underwhelming. It softens up nicely, but its not very dense and doesn't pick up or hold lather all that well. Just my opinion of course

I had a Vulfix Grosvenor mixed brush, and I didn't like it at all. I wound up re-knotting it. On the other hand, I have an SOC Mistura from a few years back (not the current model) which is great if you like a scrubby brush. I don't use it as much as I should, but whenever I do use it I wonder why I don't use it more.

I had a Caswell-Massey mixed brush. I had it for over six years and it was in my rotation. At that time I had only a few brushes: a Hoffritz badger and two of the Caswell-Massey mixtures. I preferred the Hoffritz and used it more frequently. Then I joined B&B and my next two purchases were a Duke 3 badger and a T&H Silvertip. In performance, the Caswell-Massey was inferior. Subsequently, I added my first true badger: a B&B Essential. After adding more brushes, both badger and boar, I realized that I was using the CW brush less and less. To me, it was a compromise brush being not as good as either. It didn't load as easily as a boar brush and did not have the nice feel of a badger. I ended up selling both CW brushes.

I had a Caswell-Massey mixed brush. I had it for over six years and it was in my rotation. At that time I had only a few brushes: a Hoffritz badger and two of the Caswell-Massey mixtures. I preferred the Hoffritz and used it more frequently. Then I joined B&B and my next two purchases were a Duke 3 badger and a T&H Silvertip. In performance, the Caswell-Massey was inferior. Subsequently, I added my first true badger: a B&B Essential. After adding more brushes, both badger and boar, I realized that I was using the CW brush less and less. To me, it was a compromise brush being not as good as either. It didn't load as easily as a boar brush and did not have the nice feel of a badger. I ended up selling both CW brushes.
Yes, I was thinking if I like the mixed it might help me decide whether I would want a badger.

The Omega mixed has a beautiful handle. You have to sort of pinch it, as it is travel size. Once broken in it is fun to use. However, it is a different beast from a bigger badger. (A nice badger holds heat better and is softer.) The bigger Semogue mixed brushes get swell reviews, BTW, so another good option to consider if you enjoy the midget.

Hey, some guys like trucks, some SUVs and others sports cars. And some shavers like boar, some horse, some silvertip badger, yada, yada.

On B and B the consensus view on brushes is Buy 'Em All.

Oh, the midget fits nicely in a pill bottle....

The Omega mixed has a beautiful handle. You have to sort of pinch it, as it is travel size. Once broken in it is fun to use. However, it is a different beast from a bigger badger. (A nice badger holds heat better and is softer.) The bigger Semogue mixed brushes get swell reviews, BTW, so another good option to consider if you enjoy the midget.

Hey, some guys like trucks, some SUVs and others sports cars. And some shavers like boar, some horse, some silvertip badger, yada, yada.

On B and B the consensus view on brushes is Buy 'Em All.

Oh, the midget fits nicely in a pill bottle....
Yes, I love the handle. Not as much as the Semogue 610.

I had a mixed Semogue LE 2012 that I sold 5 years ago. Terrific handle on that one but I never liked the knot, back then.

I now have the new SOC Mistura and its actually one of my favorites, together with a 26mm maggard's excellent mixed boar/badger knot.
I had it set low in a wide opening.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Okay, the mixed brush came I wanted to try it out. After soaking for 15 minutes or so, I made some lather. It works just fine and felt pleasant.

Today I used the diminutive Omega 11047. To my great surprise and joy the brush performed perfectly. I got the exfoliation I enjoy from boar and the softness that badger folks say they prefer. The size is no issue for me. I enjoy getting my fingers in the hair anyway. This is too good a brush to reserve for travel.

Top Bottom