Hints on making good coffee

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 93
  • $IMG_0005.jpg
    $IMG_0005.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 93
Maybe something got lost in the translation?

One pound of coffee makes 40 cups of coffee?

Do you need a cup or will it stand up on its own without one?

I thought it sounded kind of weak! :lol:

16oz = 453 grams

I put in approx 33 gms for one 16oz cup of joe. 453/33 = 13.72 16oz cups - which isn't the definition of a cup of coffee I guess. :smile:

There is this chart and doing the math, comes out to be about the same as the one lb to 40 cups and it's the same measure as what I use to make my daily cup. So what I thought was weak sounding turned out to be exactly what I use.

-jim

2 heaping "desert spoons" (tablespoons) per pint of water is about what I use,comes out tasty for me.

Just measured my daily ritual, 2 heaping scoops/26gms/0.9oz - to - 1/2 cup of water/4fl. oz./125ml, perfect for me. Gives me almost eigthteen 4oz. cups per pound of coffee (using an Aeropress and a Hario Mini Mill).

My wife uses the same amount of coffee but with 1 1/4 cups/10 fl. oz./ 300ml of water, kinda weak to my tastebuds.

Coffee we explore comes from the various local roasters/venders we come across in our daily wanderings.

Out of curiousity went back and measured the four coffees we have on hand and the weights, per level scoop were from 10g - 16g. The heaviest being the lightest roast, the 10g roast and the one i initially measured up top, is also our darkest roast. Lighter roasts are going to result in fewer then 18 cups per pound of coffee, sold by weight but used by volume.

dave

edit. Tanzania, 20fl. oz pint or a 16fl. oz. pint?

Last edited:
The idea behind more grinds per unit of water is that less of the bitter compounds are brewed out that way. You can always weaken a strong cup with additional hot water, but there is nothing you can do for a weak/bitter cup.

We use 1 level'ish scopp per cup in the drip machine.

Just measured my daily ritual, 2 heaping scoops/26gms/0.9oz - to - 1/2 cup of water/4fl. oz./125ml, perfect for me. Gives me almost eigthteen 4oz. cups per pound of coffee (using an Aeropress and a Hario Mini Mill).

My wife uses the same amount of coffee but with 1 1/4 cups/10 fl. oz./ 300ml of water, kinda weak to my tastebuds.

Coffee we explore comes from the various local roasters/venders we come across in our daily wanderings.

Out of curiousity went back and measured the four coffees we have on hand and the weights, per level scoop were from 10g - 16g. The heaviest being the lightest roast, the 10g roast and the one i initially measured up top, is also our darkest roast. Lighter roasts are going to result in fewer then 18 cups per pound of coffee, sold by weight but used by volume.

dave

edit. Tanzania, 20fl. oz pint or a 16fl. oz. pint?

16oz. when I was there...

Top Bottom