What's new

Hero 9296

This finally came in yesterday. Been wanting to try it for a long time because it's an accountant's pen, and I like extra-fine nibs.

The pen is slender, and has a pleasing heft. The cap snaps into place rather than slips on. The converter is a slide type and looks built-in.

Filled it with Noodler's Black. The converter doesn't seem to hold all that much due to the type and slenderness of the pen. That said, it felt more robust than I expected.

The line width was more than I expected, too. The Metropolitan Extra Fine and Platinum Preppy 0.2 mm have finer lines. The line is finer than a Sheaffer Fine Point, but not nearly as fine as I was hoping for. It writes on the wet side, and is smooth. This is possibly one of the smoothest writing fountain pens I own.

The metal grip is smooth. It's so smooth that it was a tad uncomfortable to me. Note this is why I use a Zebra 701 as EDC now instead of my stainless steel Parker Jotter, so I wouldn't call this a fault of the pen.

The Hero 9296 is a hooded nib design. May have seen a slight give at the nib when I started writing with it. OTOH, we're not supposed to press down on a fountain pen. That was the only time I thought I noticed it.

Used it in my journal last night. Not bad, and will likely use it for journaling as the notion strikes. Too bad it didn't write as fine as I'd hoped, but I have 0.38 mm gel pens that fill that task.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This finally came in yesterday. Been wanting to try it for a long time because it's an accountant's pen, and I like extra-fine nibs.

The pen is slender, and has a pleasing heft. The cap snaps into place rather than slips on. The converter is a slide type and looks built-in.

Filled it with Noodler's Black. The converter doesn't seem to hold all that much due to the type and slenderness of the pen. That said, it felt more robust than I expected.

The line width was more than I expected, too. The Metropolitan Extra Fine and Platinum Preppy 0.2 mm have finer lines. The line is finer than a Sheaffer Fine Point, but not nearly as fine as I was hoping for. It writes on the wet side, and is smooth. This is possibly one of the smoothest writing fountain pens I own.

The metal grip is smooth. It's so smooth that it was a tad uncomfortable to me. Note this is why I use a Zebra 701 as EDC now instead of my stainless steel Parker Jotter, so I wouldn't call this a fault of the pen.

The Hero 9296 is a hooded nib design. May have seen a slight give at the nib when I started writing with it. OTOH, we're not supposed to press down on a fountain pen. That was the only time I thought I noticed it.

Used it in my journal last night. Not bad, and will likely use it for journaling as the notion strikes. Too bad it didn't write as fine as I'd hoped, but I have 0.38 mm gel pens that fill that task.

Have you ever tried a Japanese extra fine nib? They would likely scratch that thin line itch.

You could also try a Rotring ArtPen in EF, has a weird shape to it, but is extremely fine as well. And cheap.

Does the Metropolitan in EF nib count as a Japanese EF? Have one, and it writes just a little bit finer than a Platinum Preppy with 0.2 mm nib.

Update:

The Hero 9296 continues to write well. Did discover that it doesn't tolerate pauses very well. The nib tends to dry, and the pen stop writing. Had a Sheaffer School Pen that did this once (yes, I know they tend to write on the wet side, but this one did), and would run water over it between classes, or moisten the nib on a wet bit of damp paper towel. I used the latter technique on the 9296, and that worked well. Only had to do so twice.

The grip also seems small for my fingers. I have large hands, and that's probably why.

Looked up Rotring, and was surprised to find a familiar name: Rapidograph. Now I'm confused, because I thought Koh-I-Noor had Rapidograph.

Used to use technical pens quite a bit back in the day. They're a completely different critter than ArtPen, but you can get a pretty fine line with them. Would have to dig up the old mapping specs to see what the finest point I used was. IIRC, they performed best on Mylar. You could use them on paper, but it was scratchy, and wondered if the paper would clog it.

Yes, standard paper will clog those Rapidograph needle pens, but a good coated stock won't, or any smooth illustration board or paper (including marker paper).

Yes, both Koh-I-Noor and Rotring had Rapidograph pens - I don't remember what brand I had (they were green, but I also had some of the Koh-I-Noor white ones). IIRC, .125mm was the smallest pen tip available, and the line widths were based on the outer diameter of the tip.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Update:

...Did discover that it doesn't tolerate pauses very well. The nib tends to dry, and the pen stop writing.

Same problem with one a few years ago and it ended up in the waste bin. I thought of giving it away but why inflict that frustration on another person. Plus it felt tiny ... chucked it.

Top Bottom