What's new

Hemingway - where to start?

I searched, but couldn't find a topic like this, so here goes.

I've read most of his short stories, but none of the novels. So which novel is a good place to start? I'm open to all suggestions, and will post my decision on which to read first.

Thanks for the suggestions!

"All of them" is my only good answer.
Each of them tells a different story in a different way...

But I know, not a very helpful answer.

I'd say "The Sun also Rises" or "A farewell to arms" because his very strongest works (personal opinion)

Or start with "A moveable feast" not his first written book, but it describes his early career & all the interesting people he met & got influenced by.
And it is also a very good book on it's own.

Basically, you can't go wrong. Perhaps with the exception of "Torrents of spring" a book he wrote fairly badly, just because he wanted it to be bad, as to be able to be released from a bad contract.

I feel a bit envy I must say, thinking of all the awesome Hemingway books you have unread before you!

I'll second both of those first recommendations. "A Farewell to Arms" was my favorite. "The Sun Also Rises" is also great. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - if you can get past the stilted archaic-sounding dialogue - is truly powerful, probably his best work.

Last edited:
I agree with the above posts, but also wanted to mention "The Old Man and The Sea" if you're pressed for time. It's shorter than his other novels, but a great book--whether or not you're interested in fishing or Cuba.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It's my personal opinion that "The Sun also Rises" is Hemingway's finest novel and my favorite (not only because of the memorable bull-fighting sequences set in Pamplona, but the cigar segments of Count Mippipopolous, the bullfighter Pedro Romero and the good life of food and drink set in the 20's of Paris & Spain)!!!

proxy.php
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you'll go.” Dr. Seuss

Attachments

• $hemingway_1360014i.jpg
    $hemingway_1360014i.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 163
Over the decades my favorites have changed and been replaced- at the end of the day it does not matter, just start and reread them every once in a while.

One often overlooked book is- Islands in the stream.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably start with "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and then try to move on to "The Sun Also Rises". I'll try to post a review when I'm done.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably start with "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and then try to move on to "The Sun Also Rises". I'll try to post a review when I'm done.

I'm due to re-read FWTBT. I've tried to get started on it a few times in the past couple of years, but other books have jumped in the way. Maybe I'll join you in reading it this month.

Legion

Staff member
I can't believe so little love for The Old Man and the Sea. It won him the Pulitzer Prize and was specifically mentioned when he won the Nobel Prize.

I can't believe so little love for The Old Man and the Sea. It won him the Pulitzer Prize and was specifically mentioned when he won the Nobel Prize.

The OP mentioned reading most of his short stories, I think most of us assume that was one of them.

Old Man and the Sea would be my choice for a starting point. I love the story and have re-read it countless times, easy read and thoroughly enjoyable.

Top Bottom