What's new

Help me identify my recent eBay finds

I recently got two nice razors on the 'bay. I'm pretty familar with resources for identifying Gilette models, but these are not.

The first one has no writing at all anywhere that I can find. It's made of brass, and the head is stamped. A bit of MAAS, and it shined up nicely. Here are the photos from the auction listing:
$razor1-1.jpg$razor1-2.jpg$razor1-3.jpg

The second looks like a Gillette Old, but has the word "NIESO" on the handle. A Google search for "Nieso Razor" cane up with the following:

"Gebrüder Niepenberg
'Nieso', Solingen-Wald in 1922 and 1932. Brand names: 'Einett', 'G.N.W.', 'Marathon', 'Marathon Razor Blades', 'Nieso', 'Nieso Privat', 'Nieso Rasierklinge'. Razor-blade maker."

in a list of German razor makers

http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm

(the link looks like a good source for others investigating German makers).

Here are the auction photos:
$razor2-1.jpg$razor2-2.jpg

(for some reason, B&B is only letting me upload 2 photos of Razor 2).

Can anyone come up with info on these?

I've put an Indian 7 O'Clock Green in the first razor and will try it out either tomorrow or Friday (on Thanksgiving, everything's going to be tested and reliable), and will report back.

The top one is a generic open comb double edge I see around. I have a few in boxes, and they're hardly more helpful. They're just pasteboard boxes with "Safety Razor" and a picture of the razor. I guess they must be made in the US since there's no country of origin mark, but there's no guarantee.

Waits says the Nieso mark is for Niepenberg Bros in Solingen-Wald Germany. Trademark first used 1920. Filed 1922. However, the mark shown is different. It also says it was still a trade name in 1932.

The top one is a generic open comb double edge I see around. I have a few in boxes, and they're hardly more helpful. They're just pasteboard boxes with "Safety Razor" and a picture of the razor. I guess they must be made in the US since there's no country of origin mark, but there's no guarantee.

Waits says the Nieso mark is for Niepenberg Bros in Solingen-Wald Germany. Trademark first used 1920. Filed 1922. However, the mark shown is different. It also says it was still a trade name in 1932.
It seems they had a few different designs$n3.JPG

The first razor is very common. I am very interested to hear how your shave goes since I am afraid to shave with mine.

The Nieso looks to be the real find. Even the box is impressive. Nice pick up!

As promised, I shaved with Razor #1 this morning. I used some old friends - Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna, my $2.49 horsehair brush from bestshave.net, and a new Indian 7 O'Clock Green blade.

Of all the DE razors I've ever used (I've been DE shaving for 35 years, and started getting different razors a few years ago), this is the most reminiscent of shaving with a single-edge. This one's a real beast. I paid attention, and got a quick, enjoyable, irritation-free almost BBS shave in two passes, but if you don't pay attention, and don't prep carefully, you have the potential to hurt yourself.

Even though smooth, the handle is OK - heavier than a Gillette handle of the era, and not slippery. I may want to substitute a modern handle though - something I always seem to want to do with classic era razors.

For me, it's a keeper and goes into rotation. YMMV, and if you can't get an enjoyable, trouble-free shave with a Gillette Old Style, don't even *think* about this one.

The Niepenberg brothers must have had a really bad marketing advisor (or none at all)... If you pronounce NIESO it says "nie so" which, translated from German to English means "never like this"! :confused1

Nice razor though, and it seems that they did not copy the crack-feature of the Gillette handles! :thumbup1:

The first razor is very common. I am very interested to hear how your shave goes since I am afraid to shave with mine.

The Nieso looks to be the real find. Even the box is impressive. Nice pick up!
Actually, the box wasn't part of the auction...

Top Bottom