What's new

Help! John Varvatos boots

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I love these John Varvatos triple strap boots. They are currently out of stock and the retail price of $1198 was at least double what I’d be willing to pay.

So does anyone know of a similar style that can be had for a reasonable price? I already have a pair of Frye double strap boots, which are nice looking, but not stunning.

Thanks.

87DE3172-C10F-4D2B-ACA1-E76E7FE406F2.jpeg

I'm stuck between Frye,redwing or Allen Edmonds. Definitely can't afford Jon varvatos. Good luck.those look like well made and durable boots.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm stuck between Frye,redwing or Allen Edmonds. Definitely can't afford Jon varvatos. Good luck.those look like well made and durable boots.

What I find interesting, is that my wife has a pair of Frye boots with three straps that look pretty awesome. She absolutely loves them. They’re a little taller than my two strap boots and have a nicer ankle fit. I figured I would just get a pair like that, but alas, they don’t make them in a men’s.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
if you search for engineer boots, that style is pretty similar to what you're looking for.

I’ve been searching like crazy and even though they use engineer to describe these boots, I wouldn’t call them engineer boots. Engineer boots are too loose for me. I have a pair and am not very fond of the fit. The buckles are either just for looks or only have minimal adjustment, like the reclining seat in economy class on an airplane.

What I did discover, though, are tanker boots. I think that is a style that I might like. And of course, all the best looking ones are for women. Most of the men’s that I’ve found are either black or desert suede.

The search continues...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not exactly the same, but I think these are going to be just fine once they are broken in.
3EEEFBB3-AE62-4669-9D61-D993B62D9CAF.jpeg

Got them on Amazon for only $146.99 here.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
They’re starting to get a few creases now and breaking in fairly fast. I also picked up some Obenauf’s oil and have applied two coats. By next weekend they should have some natural scuffs and well defined creases, as I plan to wear them on the job for part of the day every day this week.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Two full days of work and they are breaking in nicely.
074F7E32-E0F3-4D80-B6E9-F3A348DB93C6.jpeg
82E05152-7B97-4DB2-9F50-2A3F96BE7509.jpeg

It appears as though no one cares about this style of boot. However, this is a good place for me to log their progress and my satisfaction as time goes by.

So far I am very pleased with the comfort, looks, and style. Some reviewers have said this style of boot doesn’t provide much ankle support. If compared to a ten inch lace up, I’m sure the lace up would win that category. However, compared to the ankle high Timberland’s I’ve been wearing they have a lot more support. Plus, they’re not stuffed full of foam like most boots these days. I hate all that foam where there should just be leather.

So, foam free boots. How about that?!

Edit: Third application of Obenauf’s oil today (after taking pictures) on top of original application of Obenauf’s LP.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Last night after the third day of work. They dusted off nicely and still look pretty good.
8EB86D38-02AE-426D-9A4E-AAF36E263C2D.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Work day #4. End of day and after wiping off and oiling. I think I’ll apply one more generous coat of oil tomorrow night and then when I get home on Friday I’ll clean them well and top off with a coat of Obenauf’s LP.
40B92ECC-B748-4A1D-B3F9-746CDAD8AFE5.jpeg
2A3D30F3-02D0-4AE2-8628-5E584EC5A011.jpeg

as an FYI, if you're looking to keep the boots in a state where you'll be able to give them a shine by brushing/polishing...OB LP and oil will keep keep you from getting achieving that. if that's what your going for, that is. the oil build up and the waxes will prohibit a gloss.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
as an FYI, if you're looking to keep the boots in a state where you'll be able to give them a shine by brushing/polishing...OB LP and oil will keep keep you from getting achieving that. if that's what your going for, that is. the oil build up and the waxes will prohibit a gloss.

Thanks for the tip.

I am not planning on spit shining these. Spit shining is for my dress shoes. I want these to have a nice satin black finish. I also want them to be water repellent.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Lots of mud and dust on this fifth work day. I’m feeling pretty good about this break in period.
B478AB7E-3EA5-4DB4-BD8A-73FE29E60F1F.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Halfway through Friday and almost done with the work week. They are developing the look I was hoping for.
AB136163-CCE4-4B92-8D2A-2AAEBCFCCAD1.jpeg

Water is beading up nicely in a light rain. I don’t expect them to be full immersion waterproof but shedding rain is important.
94993B09-0A39-47E6-B6B5-A7B4A4F76F64.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’m thinking I should pull all this together in a single post for a review of this boot with a title reflecting that.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Needed full rain gear before this job was over. Deliberately walked through a few puddles to see if they would keep water out. Boots held their own.
422BCFE9-E785-4213-A048-3912F95BE3B7.jpeg

Home at last. I’ll have to give them a good cleaning and apply a coat of LP.
6A7D6B5A-F83D-42FE-8DAF-44E031E2E102.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Home from work finally. Cleaned the welt with a toothbrush and that’s it.
06B56B0F-BD2D-400F-BE77-9410D02A321C.jpeg

Top Bottom