What's new

Help - is this good?

Just went to my local antique store and they had a brand new gem micromatic open comb. It came with case, instructions, and one rusty blade. Razor is perfect. They are asking 30.00 ? I dont know if this is way over priced help!?

Pics would help. Is it minty? Everything I mean. If everything is, from the case to the razor, yes. Remeber to always ask for a discount. $20-23 would be better. Otherwise I would pass.

Last edited:
I have seen minty ones for far less, but also priced higher. The question is, what is that razor worth to you? If you think that it is worth that price, grab it.

The thing with RAD is that it can make a person impulse buy.

That's not a bd price since it's in such good shape. You may find one for less in the wild, but, you may not, and the Micromatics are built like the proverbial brick outhouse so it'll last for many, many years.

Thanks for the help. This is my first time ever going into Antique stores so I didn't even know I can negotiate

Price is a tricky thing. I have at times passed on razors that I felt were maybe six or seven bucks too high in price. And I can think of a few along the way that I still lament about!! If you come across something that you like and the condition is the way you want to see it - think carefully about when you think it is too high. It isn't like overpaying on a Ferrari or anything.

I still whine to my wife at least once a month about an early 40s Rotbart in a litho tin that was absolutely perfect, but about ten bucks more than 'I' figured it was worth. If I could go back in time....... : )

(don't forget how easy it is to drop an extra ten bucks on a burger platter!)

If it is MINT and has the case then its one of those judgement calls ...

I really enjoy mine ... got mine (mostly VG) off eBay by selectively bidding cheaply ... BUT show me a MINT one and well, I'll make room for another.

Of course, how I feel is in part of my signature line! :001_cool:

The real question is....

Do you want a GEM Micromatic open comb single edge razor

OR

Did you just find one in an antique store and were tempted to buy it not knowing if you wanted one or not?

The real question is....

Do you want a GEM Micromatic open comb single edge razor

OR

Did you just find one in an antique store and were tempted to buy it not knowing if you wanted one or not?

+1

Honestly, though, I think that $25-$30 would be a fair ask with case in new-ish condition. I paid $20 for a Clog-Pruf with case, tags, and blade holder, but although it was clean and otherwise all squared away, it wasn't in new condition. I was satisfied at that price.

Top Bottom