What's new

Help concerning age of razor

I have a Gillette 3 piece razor that I shave with daily. It has been in the family for a long long time, and I would love to know when it was made.
Could anyone give an idea of it's age, or somewhere where I could find out?
The serial number is: E196868
I've attached a photo. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Ken

Welcome to the B&B!

I don't see the picture but...

Here is a resource that's linked from the wiki page on safety razors. Based on this source, I'd guess a 1917 model 102 Hollow Handle Pocket Edition. I'm kind of new to collecting vintage razors so this is only a guess especially without a picture to reference.

Regards,

Thanks for the help. As I said it has been in the family for a very long time, but I doubt if we've had it since then.
Sorry that the picture didn't come through. I'm sure it's because of something I didn't do right. I'll try again.

These are usually just called "Old Style" Gillettes. Here's a 1918 model.

proxy.php

Richard

I have a Gillette 3 piece razor that I shave with daily. It has been in the family for a long long time, and I would love to know when it was made.
Could anyone give an idea of it's age, or somewhere where I could find out?
The serial number is: E196868
I've attached a photo. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Ken

Your E196868 was made near the end of 1917.

Nice.....:biggrin: How's the shave?????

Your E196868 was made near the end of 1917.

Nice.....:biggrin: How's the shave?????
Actually with a good blade it shaves great. When I first began shaving with it, about the best blades that I could get at the time were what they called Gillette 'Blue Blades', which weren't much to write home about.
I can't remember all the blades that I've progressed through over the years, but the last were Schick Platinum, Wilkinson Sword, and now Merkur Super. I've read so much hype about the 'Swedish' Gillette, that I'm looking forward to giving them a try.
(I've always used a cup and brush though)

Top Bottom