What's new

Hello 👋

Hi,

This is my first post here, so I thought I'd introduce myself quickly. 👋

I am Peter and I've started shaving with a safety razor a few months ago. Sometimes the results are good and sometimes... well, let's just say I'm glad I bought an alum stone. There is enough to learn and that's why I registered here.

I've started with a Muhle R89 and some Wilkinson blades. After trying several other blades I ended up with Astra Superior blades, which have given me the best results so far. Very sharp, but unfortunately it's just not smooth enough (especially in the neck area).

My gear so far (I've just started, so it ain't much yet):
  • Muhle R89
  • Semogue Hereditas 1305 brush (Boar haired)
  • Osma Tradition shaving soap, aftershave, and pre-shave oil
  • Proraso Pre-shave Crème
  • Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
  • Saponificio Varesino Aftershave Lotion Dolomiti
I'm thinking about buying one of these safety razors to see if I can get a smoother shave:
  • Merkur Futur (because it's adjustable)
  • Razorock SLOC (because it's an open safety razor, but not very aggressive)
I hope to find some tips and tricks on this forum so that I can improve my shaving experience.
A smooth and enjoyable shave is what I hope to achieve.

Welcome to Badger & Blade. There are lot's of helpful people here. I would like to recommend the Henson Razor AL13. I have a post on another thread about that razor that you can read Here

Hello Peter, and welcome to B&B! The Mühle R89 and the SLOC are both very good razors, albeit on the mild side, but that lets you play with blades! Believe me, you’ve come to the right place for advice - there’s more around here than you could imagine, all good.

As for your saying ‘My gear so far (I've just started, so it ain't much yet)‘: all I can say is dear, oh dear, what have you let yourself in for. Mind the rabbit holes - this place is riddled with them! 😱

Have fun, and happy shaving,
Al.

Welcome to B&B.
Have a look at the Merkur Progress; I find it smooth with GSB or Astra SP blades.
I am surprised the Astra SP are not fulfilling the smoothness you seek, especially with the R89. The neck area is tricky for some so try different blade angles but let the blade do the work; do not force it.

Welcome Peter! You’ll find a lot of good people and helpful info here. As far as the SLOC goes, I’ve heard good things about it. I have the Phoenix Artisan Accouterments DOC (Double Open Comb) nickel plated head that I put on a heavier Maggard handle. It’s a similar design to the SLOC and I REALLY like it! Smooth and pleasure to shave with 💈🖖🏼💈

Welcome aboard!

I suggest that you stick with your set-up for awhile, until you get consistently good shaves. My guess is that at this point the biggest variable is your evolving technique. Then, I would start adding new razors!

Just my $0.02!! :a29:

Welcome aboard!

I suggest that you stick with your set-up for awhile, until you get consistently good shaves. My guess is that at this point the biggest variable is your evolving technique. Then, I would start adding new razors!

Couldn't agree more.

Welcome...I am kinda new here too but have been wet shaving for a year and 10 months.

You have a good razor....the blade is not the issue....it took me a year to get my technique right...

Stay far away from the Merkur futur for now...it is a very aggressive razor..
If you want to add another foe adjustability as you mentioned, i would get the rockwell 6C or 6S.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome aboard!

Another vote for welcome, but hang on for a second. You will have plenty of time to get sucked into all kinds of acquisition disorders and chasing the perfect shave soon enough. Your initial kit is a great starting place. If you are wanting next steps please give some more info on your facial hair situation, how your current shaves are performing and what you are looking to improve. But mostly... WELCOME!

Sorry for my late response. In the meantime my son was born and I have been quite busy with that. Meanwhile, things have calmed down a bit and I can concentrate more on shaving again.

After creating this post I ordered the RazoRock SLOC and it has been delivered. I also managed to get an almost brand new RazoRock Baby Smooth for a bargain.

I now have 3 scrapers, so that should be enough hardware to test if my technique is good enough. I've used both the SLOC and the Baby Smooth a few times now and the result are better then with the R89.

I am surprised the Astra SP are not fulfilling the smoothness you seek, especially with the R89. The neck area is tricky for some so try different blade angles but let the blade do the work; do not force it.

The Astra SP is sharp enough, so the problem should be the blade angle, but somehow I can't get it correctly with de R89.

Practice makes perfect, I get that. Although the result is better with the other razors, it is still not perfect. So I will continue to practice.

If you are wanting next steps please give some more info on your facial hair situation, how your current shaves are performing and what you are looking to improve.

My facial hair is firm (thick hard hairs) which on some areas grows several directions. This makes beard mapping a bit tricky.

For example, on the neck (where the problems are) the hairs are flatter against the skin. On the lower left side of my chin they grow downwards, but on the lower right side of my chin they grow upwards. I also have parts of the neck where they grow in multiple directions.

My facial hair is firm (thick hard hairs) which on some areas grows several directions. This makes beard mapping a bit tricky.

For example, on the neck (where the problems are) the hairs are flatter against the skin. On the lower left side of my chin they grow downwards, but on the lower right side of my chin they grow upwards. I also have parts of the neck where they grow in multiple directions.

Welcome Peter!

I feel your pain and after 10 months of DE shaving and improving my technique a ton on my face, I still can have bad shaves on my neck. I also have thick hair and have issues with hair growth on my neck. My face grows straight down, easy. Both sides of my neck grow in complete random directions, one part of it looks like it grows in a circle. I have found having a growth map out helps me, really concentrating on the blade angle and pressure on the neck and not chasing BBS on my neck because even one extra cleanup pass or poor angle or pressure trying to get all the hair (especially where it grows in a circle) and the irritation is ridiculous. I’m hoping a more efficient razor I ordered will help get a closer shave on the neck. Good luck and hopefully with the new razors and improving technique you can get better shaves on the neck

Top Bottom