What's new

Heljestrand question

I've been looking to add a nice heljestrand straight to my collection and I've noticed that nearly every single one I see is more narrow at the toe vs the heel. Is this just common for those blades due to the hardness of the steel and technique used to hone them? Besides that the prices for those blades seem to have skyrocketed.

Thoughts?

I have a few. They are all even, heel to toe. But since I'm the one who now tries to hone them, this is just a temporary statement. Check back in 20 years or so.

All CVH razors got real popular last year, not just the Mk number series and prices still reflect that popularity. I have their Mk 30,31,32 and a non Mk 4/8 razor, all the blades are even. Klas Thornbloom (KT) are also a good choice if you want to experience Swedish steel at a slightly lesser price. I have two KT razors that a rattler grinds and they appear to have the fat to narrow blade with that grind. I also understand there are several vintage Japanese razors that feature the same pure, hard Swedish steel, you might want to look for one of those. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I will just keep looking. I just purchased 2 more straights recently so I'm in no big hurry.

All Heljestrand razors are supposed to have a straight edge, the same width from the heel to the toe. The attache photograph shows the proportions of a typical Heljestrand razor.

2017-06-21 06.09.56.jpg

Good looking razor! How do you like it?
If I put it this way; there are some around here that like Heljestrand razors a lot, but few that are as far gone as I am so I'm not totally objective. This is the MK no.30. It's a 4/8 and a fantastic shaver. Then there's the 5/8 version the MK no.31 that some say might be the best razor ever made. To my knowledge no one has anything bad to say about it. The 6/8 version MK no.32 gives the closest shaves possible, but it is very demanding. It'll bite instantly if you let it. It's the straight razor version of the Mühle R41. My heart belongs to the 32.

If I put it this way; there are some around here that like Heljestrand razors a lot, but few that are as far gone as I am so I'm not totally objective. This is the MK no.30. It's a 4/8 and a fantastic shaver. Then there's the 5/8 version the MK no.31 that some say might be the best razor ever made. To my knowledge no one has anything bad to say about it. The 6/8 version MK no.32 gives the closest shaves possible, but it is very demanding. It'll bite instantly if you let it. It's the straight razor version of the Mühle R41. My heart belongs to the 32.

I thought the different model numbers were simply shape, width, and carbon vs stainless steel.

Tell me more about the differences. How does the mk 31, 32, 33, 6, 10, 133, and 134 compare?

You have peaked my interest even more. Now I'm back on the hunt

They all pretty much look like the one Polarbeard posted. Some may be a heavier grind, and some have scales that aren't ivory, but they mostly all have a family resemblance. Good looking family, imo.
Here's a #32
20140704_215547_zpsrv1ljz72.jpg
And a #31
IMG_6433_zps8ddb3a4b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few. They are all even, heel to toe. But since I'm the one who now tries to hone them, this is just a temporary statement. Check back in 20 years or so.

Been reading a bit more on straights than I care to admit recently, but this one made me laugh our loud, literally. :D

Not all of us can be great honers, but we all can settle, if needs be . . . .

I think it's probably still very good job if it'll take 20 years to mess it up - but it was/is funny, no doubt. :D

Far from me from criticizing, don't get me wrong, I'm yet to even use one - curious though, no doubt.

L to R: CVH Mk 30, another 30, Mk 31, MK 32, CVH non-Mk 4/8 in custom Koa scales. The first Mk 30 has replacement ivory scales that are not quite the correct shape, the next three are all ivory, the last one came with ebonite (hard black rubber) scales that stink like cat pee, so Koa was an easy choice.

If you decide to collect some of the MK series or really any vintage razors, read the "buying flea market razors" sticky so you know what to watch for in terms of blade condition. Also, due to the fact that the scales on the Mk series are ivory, watch for cracks around the pins.

Swedish steel is very pure and hard, these razors require a bit more time to hone, but hold an edge extremely well. Personally, I find the CVH razors a bit stiff, especially the smaller 4/8 razors, nothing wrong with that, its just a different tactile feedback when shaving with them.

Half the fun of collecting vintage razors can be the hunt to track one down. You might want to consider the B&B buy sell trade marketplace, toss out a WTB ad and see if anyone has a CVH that needs a new home.

Good luck and have fun!
IMG_2610.JPG

Top Bottom