What's new

Heading to Vienna next week.what to buy?

I know Vass has a store in Vienna, but what else should I be looking for? Any suggestions would be helpful!

I would certainly make the effort to visit Knize. Vass should be interesting, but I was in their store in Budapest this past week and wasn't overly taken with their shoes.

I would certainly make the effort to visit Knize. Vass should be interesting, but I was in their store in Budapest this past week and wasn't overly taken with their shoes.

We could have lunch or drinks later if you are still in Budapest...we may have even crossed paths at Vass, got a pair of shoes there Thursday.

We could have lunch or drinks later if you are still in Budapest...we may have even crossed paths at Vass, got a pair of shoes there Thursday.

Tell me more! If you were there with your wife in the afternoon, I may have been the guy who walked in (also with my wife) and looked around a little before moving on.

Hope that you love the new shoes!

Hi Sluggo,

I think you'll enjoy Vienna. I just got back from my last and potentially final trip this past Monday. I obviously don't know the city as well as a local, but I could answer any basic questions you might have, at least in terms of the core downtown area.

Since you posted this in the haberdashery section, I'll offer a few comments in that field first. To be honest, I didn't ever return with much in the way of clothing. I'd describe the Viennese style as slightly upscale European with a Tyrolean undercurrent of hunting and mountaineering. This doesn't mean you'll find people in euro slim-cut suits made from material with a hunting theme, just that the two currents seem to be there.

It's a mixed bag, but for some shopping with a mix of more affordable stores, I'd take a subway up to the top of Mariahilferstrasse (Hauptbahnhof? better verify) and then walk down. It's a bit of a younger crowd and the clothing stores are generally a little more mass market.

There's nice shopping to be had on a walk around a portion of the 'ring', the big central ring-road which defines the heart of Vienna. A lot of it looked to be outside my humble budget, but there was some interesting stores. There was a men's store on Opernring near the Tricolori pizza place which I pressed my nose to the window of more than once.

Kartnerstrasse from the State Opera (Staatsoper) to Stephansdom cathedral is probably one of your best bets. I'd describe it as generally more higher-end offerings than on Mariahilferstrasse, mixed amongst a smattering of pure tourist souvenir shops. Department stores like Peek and Cloppenburg and Stieffl may be worth stepping into, they have a lot of variety.

Carrying further on down Kartnerstrasse and reaching Stephansplatze, hang a left and walk along beside a range of luxury brand stores till you arrive at Knize. There's actually two side-by-side, a pret-a-porter and their regular store. First time I observed the double signage was this past trip and it was after hours, so perhaps it's still one joined store inside. Their clothing was well outside my budget but the store itself is an experience.

Since you'd still be in the Stephansplatz area at this time, and it will be summer in Vienna, head down the Kartnerstrasse-trajectory that took you to the church, but keep going past it. There's a great gelato shop on the right with signage also up a story or two on the left.

You didn't mention it, but for me, the single place where the city shone was fragrances. I didn't expect this either. Absolutely, ridiculous amounts of fragrances including many that I would have a tough time tracking down in North America. Check out: Douglas esp. the big one on Kartnerstrasse, Topsi perfume stores, including one in the Ringstrassen galerien just off Kartnerstrasse, Esbjerg shave shop, also just off Kartnerstrasse, and of course, Knize :). Word to the wise(r), don't try to track down Alt Innsbruck in Vienna. They've never heard of it...

You can drop me a line if you have any questions on any of my thoughts/experiences there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom