What's new

Have you ever had one of those moments .... ??

A strange thing happened this morning. I had a day's worth of stubble to get rid of and as my mind ascended from the depths of slumber I began to plan my strategy as to how best to take the stubble down.

As many of you probably do, I went through the permutations of what razor to use, what soap or cream and with what brush. I thought to myself that I'd use my Gillette slim adjustable with a Crystal blade, with that figured out I was down to choosing the brush and cream. I ended up going with my Omega pure badger brush which for some reason I'm quite fond of. This left only the cream to choose.

Here is where things went crazy, I had recently gotten a tube of Godrej deluxe lather shave cream and I find that I've been using it quite consistently. Using one product consistently is an oddity for me.However, I really like this cream, its latherability, its cushion, its slickness and its scent and I've been very pleased with it's performance but I can say that about any number of creams I have.

I thought to myself that I would break my Godrej cycle and use one of my other creams, my Castle Forbes lavender perhaps or my Trufitt and Hill Trafalgar but when I looked down into the sink I had already lathered up the Godrej!! How weird is that? It was as if I was on autopilot or something and without, at least to my knowledge, conciously thinking about it I used the Godrej.

After all that longwinded explanation, has that ever happened to anyone of you?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Everybody does.
It's a mild form of Dissociation. Most people can relate to a time when they started driving home, and suddenly realized that a huge "chunk" of the drive was over and they don't remember doing it.
It's often called "auto-pilot" and is actually a type of amnesia.
As long as it is just the mild and infrequent "auto-pilot" episodes it's nothing to worry about.
Habits, like taking the same route to and from work day after day, or using the same product day after day can trigger these events. It encourages daydreaming while doing an activity, which is what this is all about.

Everybody does.
It's a mild form of Dissociation. Most people can relate to a time when they started driving home, and suddenly realized that a huge "chunk" of the drive was over and they don't remember doing it.
It's often called "auto-pilot" and is actually a type of amnesia.
As long as it is just the mild and infrequent "auto-pilot" episodes it's nothing to worry about.
Habits, like taking the same route to and from work day after day, or using the same product day after day can trigger these events. It encourages daydreaming while doing an activity, which is what this is all about.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Although I have yet to have it happen with shaving I have had a number of instances with it. Also for a number of years I did a fair amount of competition archery and ironically enough. That whole auto pilot thing is exactly what you're striving for when shooting. The only thing you want to be thinking about is aiming, everything else should happen automatically once you draw a bow back. But I'm willing to bet that 100% of the people here have had it happen especially when driving.

For example the route you take to work takes you past a certain store. On a given day you plan on going to that store and without realizing it you drive right past it as if you were going to work. Everyone has had one of those times when they fall into a familiar routine and at some point in it say "wait a minute, what am I doing I wanted to do "x".

That's re-assuring, as long as it's not the Godrej working some sort of magic on me and my free will will return then I suppose it's all good.

No, it's a secret ingredient that they put in Godrej. :w00t: I find the same ingredient is in their menthol mist, also. When you think you will try something else it's too late - you've started to lather with the Godrej.

Just be glad it happened during the lather-making process and not the "shaving near the Adam's Apple" part.

No, it's a secret ingredient that they put in Godrej. :w00t: I find the same ingredient is in their menthol mist, also. When you think you will try something else it's too late - you've started to lather with the Godrej.

I thought as much! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

My morning ritual after getting out of the shower is to put AC Fiber in my still damp hair, comb it and proceed with my shave. Twice this week I've completed my shave (a.k.a. looking in the mirror for 15 minutes) and realized that I hadn't combed my hair. I looked like a hedgehog with my hair all sticking up. Both times I had to rewash my hair, since it has set up beyond combing at that point.

Godrej Deluxe is concocted by witches in India who have perfected their craft. And they have me in their grip. I thank the luck that brought their magic cream to my Mancave.

'Nuff said?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin
For anyone interested.

That was a very interesting read. Thanks. I suppose it was some form of being in "the zone". I conclude that my true desire was to go with the Godrej despite other distractionary thoughts.

As for a mushin no shin experience, I have had moments like that when I score goals in hockey.

Top Bottom