What's new

Hats?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The girl in the red appears to be grabbing his bum.

... get me my hat!!

$IMAG0187.jpg

I started wearing hats around Christmas and have already gotten a bit of acquisition disorder.... I'm already up to 3 with 2-3 more already in the plotting stages. So far, I have an old Mallory by Stetson in grey that's rather faded. An Akubra Stylemaster in grey, and the one in my avatar (the current favorite) is a beautiful brown 1950s Knox Fifteen. In the plotting stages are a green fedora, a panama, and further off in the future a custom by Art Fawcett or one of the other greats.

Remember lads, you can wear a flat cap or paperboy/Gatsby cap with a suit. Just make sure it is in the same colour group or if contrasting that it matches the seasons. Say a white or off white linen cap with a natural linen suit or maybe a really dark charcoal grey with a light grey suit in cooler weather. For the most part similar colurs would be best with the excaption for the natural linens in summer. And I reckon a cap is never going to be quite as dressy as a hat. It just makes a nice and affordable option. That Goorin site has some nice models.

Cheers, Todd

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Remember lads, you can wear a flat cap or paperboy/Gatsby cap with a suit. Just make sure it is in the same colour group or if contrasting that it matches the seasons. Say a white or off white linen cap with a natural linen suit or maybe a really dark charcoal grey with a light grey suit in cooler weather. For the most part similar colurs would be best with the excaption for the natural linens in summer. And I reckon a cap is never going to be quite as dressy as a hat. It just makes a nice and affordable option. That Goorin site has some nice models.

Cheers, Todd

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... you may be on to something, there.

I have dipped my toe into the hat world. I have a cheap straw hat and a wool felt fedora. I've worn them some, but I'm afraid I look like some one from http://youshouldntwearthatfedora.tumblr.com or http://lonelynerdsinfedoras.tumblr.com.

I was trying to figure out why most modern guys look like tools wearing hats like fedoras or panamas when in the 50s and 60s nearly every man wore a hat. I have come to the conclusion that it's all about the suit. Almost every picture of a good looking man in a hat is in a suit and they are wearing conservative hats. The images of the fellas in the above websites are mostly wearing tree shirts, bad facial hair, and nontraditional hats.

Does any of that make sense?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was trying to figure out why most modern guys look like tools wearing hats like fedoras or panamas when in the 50s and 60s nearly every man wore a hat. I have come to the conclusion that it's all about the suit. Almost every picture of a good looking man in a hat is in a suit and they are wearing conservative hats. The images of the fellas in the above websites are mostly wearing tree shirts, bad facial hair, and nontraditional hats.

Does any of that make sense?

It makes sense.

They seem mostly juvenile kids in their teens and twenties, playing dress-up with an "old man hat" (which may or may not be "cool" by being "ironic").

Not that you have to wear a suit to pull off a proper hat (but it helps.) Most of the "fail" photos are of guys who are obviously treating the hat as a gimmick or costume, rather than as a proper part of their daily attire. For them, the hat is a novelty, and they are mugging for the camera.

Back in "the day", men wore hats the way we wear shoes: you put it on when you left the house, didn't think twice about it, everyone wore them, and looked and felt daft leaving home without them.

I have four hats and numerous caps. The caps are all baseball type and are in most cases they were bought on vacation and are mementos of the trips.

The hats include my classic T3 Tilley bought in 2000 in Ely, MN as a memento of my first BWCWA trip and unfortunately it is an 1/8 size smaller than I wear. It's definitely a casual hat regardless.
Last summer I wanted something other than the T3, and with the heat decided to go with a Panama. Panama Bob had a few reasonably priced Cuencas on ebay, so I picked up one of those in a proper 7 3/8 size and wore it all summer long. Wanting a somewhat dressier hat this past winter, I bought another Tilley, this time the City Fedora (apparently now discontinued) in black. Yeah, it's wool and not felt, but it's lined and warm.
The first few times I wore it to work I felt like a poser, but remembering some words of advice I believe I read here on B&B about wearing hats as though they are part of you, I continued. I cannot tell you how many compliments from women I've gotten on the hat in the last three months.
I also have a boonie hat I just picked up a few weeks ago that I plan on wearing strictly for yard work, replacing my vacation caps so they will last longer.

I am saving for an Art Fawcett for next winter.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... you may be on to something, there.

Not trying to overstate the obvious but there are younger members who may not have seen this before. It was quite common in the 30s/40s but practically gone by the fifties. At least as as a common practise. It is rather ironic that a suit with flat cap would draw much less attention these days than a Fedora would. In decades past the man with a flat cap was a second fiddle to the felt hat wearer.

And one poster mentioned Hanley caps from Ireland. I have one and the quality is very good. Definitely worth a look.

Cheers, Todd

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In decades past the man with a flat cap was a second fiddle to the felt hat wearer.

I agree.

Certainly, the flat cap has a more "working class" ... Andy Capp ain't no toff ... element to it, and would be worn by gents in a more sporting or leisurely setting rather than to the office. Those distinctions are largely now gone in the mists of time, but the flat cap does seem a bit more casual still ... even if the casual observer doesn't really "know" the background of why he has that gut reaction.

Flat caps are less dressy. Of course, up through WWI and even after, a fedora was a more sporty or country hat, and not suitable for wearing in town with a business suit. For business, one would have worn a Homburg until the middle to late '30s. And, at the turn of the century, a top hat might have been required for business or a dressy occasion.

I have an Olive Scala Outback I wear everyday.
$hat.jpg$johnnie-hat.jpg

I also have a wool fedora and a white straw fedora I wear depending on the time of year. I don't leave the house without a hat.
Now to get on my soapbox, I believe the increase in skin cancers on people's heads can be attributed to not wearing hats. I can't count how many men I know that wear caps and have had skin cancer on their ears. Maybe our ancestors knew more than we credit them for! Ok, getting off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom