What's new

Haslinger soap

Nooooooo.....

I know...terrible :(. It was sitting in my closet for a few months and I figured to just toss it as I was only using Tabac at that stage. I wasnt active on the site back so I didn't even know of PIF! I just ordered a brush + Tabac and ditched the site while still using Proglide to work on my lather. I only came back to the site since starting DE!

Tried my Haslinger coconut this morning. Just rubbed the puck on my face like a shave stick and face lathered. Nice thick, rich lather, very nice indeed.

Well, I have used a puck of Schafmilch since I resurrected his thread and am now using the Coconut.

The Best soaps I have ever used. This has risen to the top of my best soaps list and I will now branch out to a few other scents.

Cheap, readily available, tallow, paraben-free, variety of scents, it has everything going for it.

Well, I have used a puck of Schafmilch since I resurrected his thread and am now using the Coconut.

The Best soaps I have ever used. This has risen to the top of my best soaps list and I will now branch out to a few other scents.

Cheap, readily available, tallow, paraben-free, variety of scents, it has everything going for it.

About the only thing I would criticize is the very mild scent, but that's just quibbling.

Glad you're enjoying it, Bruce. I've used up a couple of pucks (coconut and sandalwood) and have nothing but praise for Haslinger. In fact, I actually have pucks of Haslinger Aloe Vera, Marigold and Schafmilch on the way. I like how I can toss a puck into my mug, use it up in 30-40 days or so, then move on to a different puck.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice thread! I have some Haslinger that I need to get to eventually. The puck looks a bit smaller than the one that Joel had in his original post but I keep seeing that it's one of the best soap. I am very curious about this one!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just shaved again for the third time this week with the Haslinger Sandalwood, for me one of the best modern soaps.

Just shaved again for the third time this week with the Haslinger Sandalwood, for me one of the best modern soaps.

I really enjoyed the sandalwood. I used up a puck of that during the fall. I'm just finishing a puck of Jack's Soap (out of Quebec), then I'll be moving onto either the Haslinger Schafmilch or the Aloe Vera.

I've had Schafsmilch in my rotation for the past 9-10 months and really like it. I grate it, press it into a twist-up stick and face lather with it. It lathers so easily, has great slickness and cushion and, most of all (for me), the post shave feel is outstanding (important for me... I'm not getting any younger).

I've been thinking about trying coconut and sandalwood, which are two of my favorite scents (Mike's for coconut and CRSW for sandalwood) and have a couple of questions.

For those who have tried the Schafsmilch and either coconut or sandalwood, how do they compare without the lanolin and sheep milk for performance and post shave?

How do their scents compare to Mike's coconut and CSRW sandalwood?

For those who have tried the Schafsmilch and either coconut or sandalwood, how do they compare without the lanolin and sheep milk for performance and post shave?

How do their scents compare to Mike's coconut and CSRW sandalwood?
I used the Schafmilch first and am now using the Coconut and both perform similar and have the same post shave feel to me. Granted, it's been a few months since I used the Schafmilch, but I'd say they are equal and haven't noticed one being worse shave or post shave feel than the other...scent goes to the Coconut for me.

Scent on coconut is mild but natural, no extra vanilla added (which I found with Mikes and others).

I'd say both have been the slickest lather products I have used. The razor glides effortlessly and they are extremely easy to get thick, creamy lather from. I was worried the non-lanolin wouldn't be as good in some areas, but it is.

Last edited:
I've tried almost all the Haslingers and they all perform the same for me except possibly the sheeps milk which may be a little better than the others. It's an under rated soap that is easy to get a rich creamy lather out of. Unfortunately they all have me itching a few hours after the shave so I haven't kept any.

I have used the Schafmilch, especially when traveling - handles any type of water. This last shave, I too, was itching like crazy when previously I had not...weird..

If I ever were to become a fanboy for any shaving soap it would be Schafmilch. It's better than MdC in my opinion and if you love lanolin in your soap it's nowhere near as finicky as MWF.

Ridiculously easy to load and lather, even with Houston's notoriously hard water. It produces a very slick and protective lather which leaves my face feeling soft and supple after a 3-pass shave. It has a mild, clean and slightly powdery scent which I don't mind since I shower after I shave and wash off the scent. I'm about to kill my first puck after 4 weeks of use and haven't had any of the skin irritation or itching others have reported.

The puck is a bit small to readily fit the many shaving soap containers I have but that problem is readily solved with a cheap cheese grater.

At $9.00/puck everyone should try it at least once.

Heresy! Guards!
Having just used MdC for a week, then Haslinger for a week, it's not even close. Haslinger is just as easy to lather, gives a superior shave and is softer on the skin.

I agree with everything Harry said. I cut my Haslinger up (not grate) and load from a ceramic dish. I choose this method as I don't like to clang my brush in an OS mug. 20-30 sec of loading gives me amazing lather and plenty for my shave. It's cheap enough to not have to worry about skimping or counting swirls and you can use a puck up in a month or so, then move on to another scent.

Last edited:
Here is my my recent transformation of a puck, all done with a plastic IKEA kids knife:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1418406874110.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418406874110.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 580
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1418406891842.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418406891842.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 581
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1418406920677.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418406920677.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 581
You guys are making it hard for me to finish my puck of Jack's before moving on to Haslinger....

If nobody has tried the Aloe Vera, I'll make that my first, then move on to the others. I was going to order another puck of coconut come spring, but I have 2 vintage soaps I want to address also.

Haslinger Shafmilch is used and loved often in my home! Lathers easily, nice cushion, slickness, and my face feels abolutely mavalous afterwards! The scent isn't my favorite but it's performance trumps the scent.

Curious about the scent of Calendula and the Sea Algae, any users?

Top Bottom