What's new

Has anyone tried the Razorock BBS?

Not yet, but I have one on the way! Looking forward to seeing what it's like, so will be interested to hear what folk think.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

There's some in-depth discussion here from some of our very knowledgeable members:

I had the Aluminum version. I was not a fan. I could get a decent shave but the shave was almost always unnecessarily rough. The GC was/is worlds better.

I bought stainless steel version about 3 months ago. It has become my absolute favorite razor. If you take the time do use it correctly it will become your favorite. The key is using light pressure and the correct blade angle (35 degrees instead of 45).

For a month after it came I was using it wrong. I was habitually use a 45degree angle and that was giving me shaves with many weepers and much irritation. After I went back to the Razorock website and read the instructions, I was reminded that the razor was made to use at a more shallow angle (35degrees). My next shave I focused on using the correct angle and was blown away. A perfect shave, no irritation, or weepers, and a BBS shave. It’s been that way since and it is hands down my favorite. It’s taken my shaves to a whole new level of comfort and enjoyment.

I had the Aluminum version. I was not a fan. I could get a decent shave but the shave was almost always unnecessarily rough. The GC was/is worlds better.
Just to clarify for the OP, the aluminum razor referred to by @GearNoir is the "Baby Smooth", not the BBS. Despite the confusingly similar names, these are two different razors. And not just in material, but in design as well, so the shaving properties aren't directly comparable. I haven't used either, but this topic is covered here

Just to clarify for the OP, the aluminum razor referred to by @GearNoir is the "Baby Smooth", not the BBS. Despite the confusingly similar names, these are two different razors. And not just in material, but in design as well, so the shaving properties aren't directly comparable. I haven't used either, but this topic is covered here
Ah, didn’t know that! Many thanks for the clarification. Sorry for any confusion caused!

I’ve had one for the past couple months, use it quite a bit. It does take some getting used to with the angle, but I find it extremely forgiving in that deviation in either direction leads more to missed spots instead of blood. It’s a pretty interesting combination of being very gentle but can still take down a few days growth without slowing down. I tend to have to settle for quite a bit of stubble left just above skin level on my neck with most “gentle” razors as trying to go against the gran is beyond what the razor can do. This is absolutely not the case with the BBS and handles ATG over my whole face without any issue. I notice that I really have to focus to keep the angle correct, probably because I don’t use it for more that 3 or 4 shaves at a time then on to something else. It turns in to a very relaxing shave. $70 isn’t just change to many people, but I think you’re getting a heck of a lot of razor that has a tremendous value.

It’s a very gentle razor as it has
zero blade feel and a very forgiving “attitude” .
Still ,does not lack efficiency.
Very robust razor ( thick base plate and cap) .
Feels like it was specially made for the ATG-passes.An evolved
design based on the legendary Merkur 45 ( bakelite) .
Gives me more easily and more
comfortably a BBS shave , than
myRR GC .84-P sb & oc .

Lots of a razor for the money .
Wonderful for everyday shaving or more relaxed shaves.
Not the most efficient out there, but truly a gentle razor.

This new version of the BBS is attractive, has a nice weight, and does a great job of "flexing" the blade. That last bit needs some clarification.

Many shavers have noticed a certain amount of "chatter," though that's rarely a problem for most people. But the BBS flexes the blade to an unusual degree; there's absolutely no blade movement or chatter. The additional flexion also means that there's zero drag, whether you're shaving a day's or a week's amount of growth.

The BBS is relatively mild, but a tad more efficient than, say, than the Rockwell 6S - which has a more "comfortable" feel. I'd pick the 6S as a daily shaver, and the BBS for multiple days' growth.

Just shaved with the stainless this morning and it's an outstanding mild razor. It lives up to it's name, as I had a BBS shave. I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade and Classic Shaving Bay Rum soap. Very smooth, no irritation and no nicks. The stainless has a great weight to it (I'm not a fan of light razors, like aluminum).

I'm wondering if the BBS would be a good razor for me because I already shave with a very shallow angle.

Like all razors, there’s going the be an angle where it works “best”. Some razors have a bit of a range of angles that work and personal preference comes in to play. For me, the BBS really needs to be dialed in on the correct angle. Like I said previously though, the risk of incorrect angle is just missed spots and not a face full of burn.
The way I see shave purchases is “can I afford to burn $x.xx on something I might not like or use”. If you can answer yes to the ~$70 for a BBS then it’s a good razor for you to try. You’ll be the only person who can answer if it’s really a good razor for you to use.

I got my BBS razor with Bulldog handle yesterday, and shaved with it today. I'm blown away with the performance and feeling of " safety " this razor offers.

I know one shave is hardly experience enough to actually judge any razor, but this razor mowed down 4 days of growth like it was nothing, without clogging, dragging, tugging and all the while I checked again and again if it was cutting or not.

There was no blade chatter and angle was intuitive/ natural for me and shave went irritation free.
I was apprehensive about the razor, so I didn't push it to ATG pass but I'll definitely go for it in next shave.

Top Bottom