What's new

Harvey Weinstein get 23 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be hard to keep this steered away from politics and I almost did not post. Seems remarkable to me though on numerous levels.

A remarkable demonstration, methinks, of the perils of hubris. No matter how prominent and rich one happens to be, one should not let that go to one's head.

Also remarkable that someone with that much money and that many lawyers gets that big a sentence. I think that is a good thing for the country. I express no opinion on the merits. An experienced criminal court judge appointed first by Giulliani and then by Bloomberg. I suspect he was not impressed by the walker and disheveled appearance. The judge sat through the trial. I would not second guess him on credibility.

I had to google to even remember who he was. I was on a boat outside St. John and the captain said "That is Jefferey Epsteins's private island." Knowing I was about to look stupid, I still had to ask "Who is he?" I either have no memory or a complete lack of care for rich people shenanigans. Or both. What were we talking about again?

I suspect he was not impressed by the walker and disheveled appearance. The judge sat through the trial. I would not second guess him on credibility.

Somebody should have told Harvey that Vinny "The Chin" Gigante already tried that ruse.

Didn't work for him either.

This guy got what he had coming to him. I'm happy with the verdict. And another one who was too big for his britches was Bill Cosby. I used to be a huge fan. I was always quoting his lines from either his shows or his standup. Now I can't even stand to watch him. Cosby and Weinstein deserve solitary confinement. But put their cells near one another so they know each other is there. They deserve each other.

Good.

I wonder how much he'll actually serve.

I think I saw something that indicated that New York still has parole and inmates are generally eligible to come up for parole after serving a third of their sentences, but that could be way off. I also really have no idea what parole would be based on. I think various jurisdictions have eliminated parole altogether. I am guessing others have changed the criteria, I would expect to make it harder to get.

Always a tension, I suppose, if one of the criteria is showing remorse when one is still claiming that one is innocent and has appeals pending.

Always a tension, I suppose, if one of the criteria is showing remorse when one is still claiming that one is innocent and has appeals pending.
Apparently he showed zero remorse in court. I didn't follow the case too closely.

Here's hoping he serves his full sentences in all jurisdictions he's convicted in.

No one should have any sympathy for this guy because of his age or condition. He's a convicted rapists and got off easy with 23y.

I thought the story about Brad Pitt confronting Weinstein at the opening of a play and telling him if he ever made Gwyn Paltrow, Pitt's then girlfriend, feel uncomfortable again he would kill him was interesting. Makes me like Mr. Pitt and Ms. Paltrow more. The Courtney Love clip makes me like her more, too.

I thought Cosby got what he deserved. I do not think there is any doubt he was drugging his victims, I do not think he contested that he had dosed various women, or at least there was testimony that he had talked about doing that. I personally think, any sexual assault aside, the penalty for secretly drugging anyone should be very high. That is taking someone's life in your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom