What's new

Hardright brush restoration - anything special I should watch for

I just picked up a Hardright brush that I want to restore with a new knot. I've never drilled out a Hardright brush before. Is there anything special I should watch out for that's different than brushes like Rubberset or Ever-Ready?

That is a nice looking handle and certainly worth the time to restore. I have no experience with that vintage brand, however, I would venture to say the method would not be any different.

Cut the hair, chuck up a forstner bit and gently drill it out.

Would love to see some pics when you have it done.

I just picked up some Forstner bits and will start to work on it tonight. It'll be a while before the restoration is done because I'll need to order a knot for it, once I know the size.

One thing I noticed is that this brush is heavy compared to similar sized Rubbersets. Once I get the knot out I'll be able to see if the handle is solid, which may be what's contributing to the weight. When I restored a Rubberset 200-3 earlier this year, the handle was hollow so I added weight by dropping a couple of 9mm bullets into it with epoxy. This Hardright will definitely not need that treatment.

Top Bottom