What's new

Happy Birthday, Mr. Gillette!

Missouri Lodge of Research
2 hrs ·

King C. Gillette, Inventor of Gillette razor, founder of Gillette Inc, Columbian Lodge Boston, was born this date (1/5) in 1855.

(This information is from the Grand Lodge of Missouri, Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons Facebook page)‪

Last edited:
I saw a page on Facebook today. Celebrate by shaving today with a vintage Gillette razor! Happy birthday Mr. Gillette!

P.S. If you can from wherever you are it would be way cool if you brought back a quality DE razor!

happy birthday!

altho he would probably be most thrilled to see the upcoming playoff of the patriots vs ravens next saturday at Gillette Stadium!!

$gillette detail.jpg

"The greatest feature of the business is the almost endless chain of blade consumption, each razor paying tribute to the company as long as the user lives."

-King Gillette

Happy birthday!!!

I wonder if The Gillette Co. wished him a happy birthday on their Facebook page like they did the Double Ring.LOL

It is still amazing to contemplate the sheer audacity of Gillette's vision for disposable blades. We tend to get jaded by the more recent antics of the giant rapacious business bearing his name. But let's not forget the wonderful origins of this behemoth.
You should search out the patent of 1904 - it's remarkably easy to read.
I quote:

"A main object of my invention is to provide a safety-razor in which the necessity of honing or stropping the blade is done away with, thus saving the annoyance and expense involved therein, and to this end I make the blade of my razor of very thin sheet-steel, thereby getting rid of a large amount of metal which has heretofore been required to give the blade the proper amount of strength and rigidity, and l secure this blade to a holder so constructed as to provide a rigid backing and support for the blade, as well as a handle thereto so that although my blade itself is readily flexible by reason of its thinness and lacks the rigidity of the ordinary razor-blade yet when it is combined with its holder it receives a degree of rigidity sufficient to make it practically operative."

Genius.