What's new

Hanging razor after use

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I let my razor in the stand with the pole face the counter top. does it make a difference or not if you let it sit upside down or not?

It shouldn't make any difference. In fact, I don't even bother hanging up my razors any more. I either put them back into their case (if they came in one) or I just lay them on their side, out of the way, so that nobody will accidentally come in contact with the blade.

Probably not, I hang my razors in the slots at the ends of the chopping boards that I extended the bathroom shelves with purely to save on space.
$20160710_095910.jpg$20160710_095923.jpg

I towel dry mine.

If it is a TTO I give em a good shaking to get any water out of the handle then leave the doors open and put them on the stand (just to keep they out of the way and safe.

If it is a 2 or 3 piece I dry the parts and put the razor back in the drawer or box (where it came from)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not likely, IMO. After rinsing, I shake my razor out, towel dry it, and lay it on its side in the medicine cabinet. After four years of this, both razors are fine.

Northern hemisphere, you need to hang head up. Southern hemisphere, reverse is better.

Keeps the threads from receiving too much stress.

I let my razor in the stand with the pole face the counter top. does it make a difference or not if you let it sit upside down or not?

I let my 3-piece 'Franken' razor hand from its rack--with the top slight unscrewed to allow for ventilation. This has worked well for me for some time now.

I used a stand and always just hang my razor up along with my brush. Although if I use a different razor than the one I keep on the stand then the other one I just lay on a wash cloth until it's dry and put it back away.

I hang them head-down figuring that may make a tiny difference getting the water to seep out of the head-threads. Sometimes those corrode. Some B&B participants have complained of that. Fortunately, my better razors have held up in that area so far.

I hang them head-down figuring that may make a tiny difference getting the water to seep out of the head-threads. Sometimes those corrode. Some B&B participants have complained of that. Fortunately, my better razors have held up in that area so far.

Whats method is used to hang it upside down? Just curious. Also forgot to add to my earlier post 3 piece razors I unscrew about a full turn before hanging, but hanging upside is something I'll prob start doing with my TTO razors due to water etc going down the center.

I'm curious what razor material is corroding? Modern zamac/pot metal whatever it is is going to eventually gall and brass hardware is often used in marine application. Stainless is prone to galling as well, but mostly just don't torque down on your threads.
I used to remove blade and towel dry all pieces now I just loosen threads to make a gap and blow most water out, then towel off head. I haven't noticed any difference in blade life either way.

I towel dry mine.

If it is a TTO I give em a good shaking to get any water out of the handle then leave the doors open and put them on the stand (just to keep they out of the way and safe.

If it is a 2 or 3 piece I dry the parts and put the razor back in the drawer or box (where it came from)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Such a clean setup....very nice

Razors are made to get wet and be in wet places. How, or which way, you stand it after use doesn't matter IMO. Most folk do it their own sweet way, and that's fine (no need for an instruction manual).

My way, just for the record, after shaving:
1. Rinse, 2. Shake Dry, 3. Pat Dry, 4. Leave Ready for next shave.
$OG60-resting.jpg
The only time I do any more than that is when I change the blade (not very often). Then I'll clean and dry each separate part of the razor and install a new blade.

I have a toothbrush holder for four. If I have a more razors in use, they just lay on the counter, no big deal. I rinse and wipe the razor off after use, I do not open it and clean the blade or innards until the blade is done.

Whats method is used to hang it upside down? Just curious. Also forgot to add to my earlier post 3 piece razors I unscrew about a full turn before hanging, but hanging upside is something I'll prob start doing with my TTO razors due to water etc going down the center.
For example, Mühle stands are designed to hold Mühle razors upside-down. In some cases, a generic stand will hold some razors upside-down, like the Perfecto holding the Merkur 39C. Plain thin handles generally cannot support hanging upside-down. Being able to hang upside-down is kind of nifty when it can happen, but it probably makes little difference if it cannot.
$Temp-Mühle.jpg$Temp-PfctoMerkur39c.jpg

i rinse, especially getting everything off both sides of the blade, then wipe the handle and set it in the stand to dry. i use one razor thru one blade's useful life, which is usually 3-5 shaves, then i'll wipe the entire razor down and put it into it's stand and go to the next razor in my rotation.

there's always a plan B

I shake them dry, maybe give them an alcohol swish, and let them dry on their sides on the shelf in the medicine cabinet, which I leave open for a while. I keep them next to the brushes which sit on their handles. I don't hang anything and everything dries just fine.

Top Bottom