What's new

Hanging or Paddle Strop?

for daily stropping most find a hanging paddle works best,
for touch up's usually with some kind of abrasive a paddle strop is the way to go.
I got both and think that is the way to go myself

It's a personal thing. I like a hanger for daily use, a 4-sided pasted for touch ups, and a paddle for travel.

kato,

My opinion is the hanger works best for daily use. It's simple and fast to use. I have pasted paddles I use for the occasional touching up of the edge.

good stropping, good shaving,

for daily stropping most find a hanging paddle works best,
for touch up's usually with some kind of abrasive a paddle strop is the way to go.
I got both and think that is the way to go myself

That's pretty much the advice I received from Joel and from Tony Miller.

Cheers

Jeremy

Here's the update.

I have ordered the Tony Miller Heirloom 3" Artisan with handles and a practice strop as well.

I am now thinking that I may just get the Norton 4000/8000 combination waterstone and learn to hone, rather than buying a paddle for touch ups.

Here's the update.

I have ordered the Tony Miller Heirloom 3" Artisan with handles and a practice strop as well.

I am now thinking that I may just get the Norton 4000/8000 combination waterstone and learn to hone, rather than buying a paddle for touch ups.

Feh! I would go for the DMT that is 8000 grit instead. No lapping, and it cuts super fast.

I have both and I never use my Norton anymore; the DMT cuts so fast, and once "broken in" it leaves a pretty fine edge. A few passes on a higher grit stone and it's shave ready!:biggrin:

That is an interesting option, but for me I thought it would cut to fast so I ahve ordered the Norton 4000/8000. Unfortunately that means I will in all probability have to lap it before I use it. Oh well, that's life.

That is an interesting option, but for me I thought it would cut to fast so I ahve ordered the Norton 4000/8000. Unfortunately that means I will in all probability have to lap it before I use it. Oh well, that's life.

If you have a very coarse stone, you can use that to lap the Norton. If not, you will need the Norton Flattening stone.

FYI, the .5 diamond/chromium and .25 diamond pastes are finer than the 8k on the Norton.

Many folks go to a pasted strop or a finishing stone (conticule, 12k Chinese) after the 8k on the Norton.

Also, for some reason, most newbies have more success with pasted paddles than honing - many newbies have a harder time learning how to hone than use a pastes strop.

In short, if you want someting for periodic touch ups, I suggest a finer stone or a pasted paddle.

which pasted paddle is good to go with? I dont plan on honing, well at least for the first 6 mo to a year. If the pasted paddle is the way to go for touch ups, is there a need for that canvas/linen side on the regular strops like the artisan 3" with Dee rings? Just confused on which strop to get as im a newb.

FYI, the .5 diamond/chromium and .25 diamond pastes are finer than the 8k on the Norton.

Many folks go to a pasted strop or a finishing stone (conticule, 12k Chinese) after the 8k on the Norton.

Also, for some reason, most newbies have more success with pasted paddles than honing - many newbies have a harder time learning how to hone than use a pastes strop.

In short, if you want someting for periodic touch ups, I suggest a finer stone or a pasted paddle.

Top Bottom