What's new

Handamerican Chicago Special

So I placed an order for a Classic 830 from HandAmerican back in November together with the felt strop. Keith informed me he was going to change my order to the Chicago Special for the same price and after a few questions I was satisfied that it was going to cover what I was looking for. He was also kind enough to upgrade the felt strop to the one with the split leather backing as well as include a couple of his razor sleeves at no additional charge. Now, these gestures together with his friendly tone and reassuring responses have kept me from posting anything about the issues I'm having; so if me posting about this a couple of months ago would have kept some of you from placing an order for one, I truly apologize for not being more forthcoming. This is the first time I complain out loud here about lousy customer service, because I tend to give folks more benefit of the doubt than they probably deserve.

My first concern came right away with the package, the Chicago Special arrived with a nasty range mark running right down the middle of the strop that included a relatively deep inch and a half long gash. You can tell its natural probably back when the animal scratched against a wire fence, but it is very obvious, in fact the whole scrubbed portion is not so much a concern as it is the gash, when it comes to a brand new strop. When I raised my concern via email with pictures, Keith offered right away to send a replacement and that I could keep this one and use it. He inferred in his response though that there is no need to be so picky when it comes to a new strop leather, you tell me; I just shrugged it off because after all, he had offered right away to send a new one. This was back in November 28.

Within one week of use, the embossed horse butt leather started to split, as can be seen, this is not at the glue joint, but rather a separation within the hide. I thought that even with a replacement on the way, this kind of product failure would be something a vendor would be very interested to know about, again with pictures attached. I was again reassured a replacement was on its way to me.

This is a picture of the embossed side, those stain marks where there when I received it (and honestly not a big issue if it where the only complaint) and the diamond embossing is not as crisp as the one Ookla posted a review on (which is beautiful by the way). Matter of fact, the main side seems to be a completely different strop, even though both have been marked and sold as Chicago Specials and supposedly the same treated leather.

Lately, the glue joining the two sides has begun to fail, and the two halves have begun to separate.

So I ask, I'm I being unreasonable to be jizzed for having to wait now almost 6 months for a replacement? What really ticks me is that when I spoke to Keith back in March to find out what's up, he lied to me when he said he was sending my strop the next day. I seriously don't know what else to do other than really bring it up a notch or two.

I could not be more disappointed.

+1

I was interested in a Handamerican strop made from English bridle leather, but now I think I will have to take a wait and see stance about how this develops.

Sorry for your problems, huracan, but thank you for making us aware of the situation.

+1

I was interested in a Handamerican strop made from English bridle leather, but now I think I will have to take a wait and see stance about how this develops.

Sorry for your problems, huracan, but thank you for making us aware of the situation.

I don't think their is much developing since he has been waiting since November.

You will probably be taking a gamble buying one

Top Bottom