What's new

Handalbar: To Trim or Not to Trim

Hey, gents!

I have had a full beard and moustache for at least 20 years... and a month and a half ago, I started growing the handlebar.

Its growing out pretty quick. I have small curls on both sides. One problem is, they are growing at different rates. One side is longer then the other.

And on top of that, I have some hairs growing very very long (like to the point that if I straighten them out, they are below my lower lip!) and some that are growing very short, like they dont want to go past a quarter inch. This is causing the stache to look choppy and uneven.

So, question is: Do I trim the end that is longer to even it out? And what should I do with the super long hairs? Let them go, or trim them a bit to get them more even with the shorter hairs?

Perhaps I am just being impatient since I am just 1.5 months in, but since I have curls already, I am getting itchy for it to look good! :D

And a side question... coming up from my "mouth's sideburns", where do I stop trimming the beard to let the moustache go? Sometimes, I think I am not trimming high enough, as I have some hairs that just dont want to join the handlebar. But again, maybe it's because I need to let it grow more?

Thanks, gents!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You will get varying opinions on when to trim and how high or low relative to the corner of the mouth. It all depends on what look you are trying to achieve. Some will say to trim level with the corners of the mouth,but for me that is too high. I like a big swooping Wyatt Earp style 'stach, whereas some prefer something more limited like Val Kilmer wore as Doc Holiday. Then there is the petite version worn by David Sachet as Hercule Poroit (sp?) As far as hair length, try to trim as little as possible, but some times you have to trim the tips if there are hairs that are greatly uneven. Resist trimming the hairs in the middle of your lip, train them with wax to stay out of your mouth and to the side. I would say you need to give your 'stache more time, much more time. I've had mine a few years now and it is still a work in progress. With a great mustache comes great responsibility!

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
The general wisdom is to avoid trimming! Having said that, I trimmed about 1/8 inch of just a few hairs on the tip of one side this morning just to even things up a bit. Use the wax to train the middle hairs to go to the side. 6 months is a good start on the handlebar. I've been working on mine over two years and am finally starting to get there. And nortac is right, in that it will always be a work in progress!

With a great mustache comes great responsibility!

Love this line. Couldn't agree more!:thumbup:

I also love the line!! Awesome!

Thanks for the advice, gents... I think I need to take a chill pill and wait, and watch it develop. :) I Just gotta keep the beard trimmer and the straight razors away from it while I am shaving!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also love the line!! Awesome!

Thanks for the advice, gents... I think I need to take a chill pill and wait, and watch it develop. :) I Just gotta keep the beard trimmer and the straight razors away from it while I am shaving!

I have had many a mishap while shaving, thinking that I'm just shaving up to the edge of my 'stache and then seeing long cared for hairs in the sink! Doh! As for the line, I stole it from someone else on this forum, can't remember who or when.

Last edited:
$24Dec11.jpg
My 'stache. :thumbup:

Top Bottom